epilogue

"hey rin, what's this box for?" meguru pulled a small box out from the draw of his desk. it was plain but looked well taken care of.

rin glanced over at it from his bed. his ears turned red but he didn't try to stop his ever curious lover. "it's from highschool." he said instead. he continued to watch meguru's excited face as he opened the box.

he blinked in surprise and looked up to rin with a grin. "you kept my notes?" rin hummed, attention solely on him. "aw rin. you're so cute!"

"so i've been told." he nodded to the box. meguru's smile seemed to grow as he unfolded the little papers, reading through all the notes he ever gave to rin.

"haha! i remember this one. you took me out for dinner after and i totally thought we were going for macdonald's so i didn't dress up. everyone was looking at us weird." rin listened to him reminisce gleefully, unperturbed by what probably would have been an embarrassing memory for anyone that wasn't meguru. "it was really fun though. anything with you is fun!"

rin rolled his eyes, turning his head away when meguru turned to look at him. he giggled even at the standoffish behaviour. rin's burning ears were an easy giveaway to his true feelings.

"is this the first one?" meguru asked. he held up the bright yellow paper with the words: i like you lol ;) written on it in hot pink.

rin nodded. "i still don't understand though. we were already together so what was the point of that?"

"silly rin!" meguru chided. he put the box down and jumped into the bed with the other. "it's all about the experience. wasn't it fun?" he asked, wrapping his arms around him and resting his chin on his chest. "plus, i just wanted to let you know how i felt at the time. that was the whole point."

rin had always been soft and he was weak against meguru's doe eyes so he sighed and nodded. cupping his lover's face in his hands, he drew out a smile from the other. now, they didn't even need words to explain their love for each other. they knew now, love didn't have to be written or said or announced. they knew it in their soft embrace and eye contact, and in their sweet kisses and play fights.

their i love you was so much more than just a few words. though they'd never really stop saying it either, even if they knew they didn't have to say it for the other to understand.