Chapter 3

Point of view-Matt

Class was boring as usual. I never liked history. Why would we need to learn about a bunch of dead guys?

"Matthew," Mr. Macintosh's voice brought me away from my thoughts. "Matthew, why did Sir Alameda cross the Smoke River?"

"Um," I said the first thing that came to mind "To get to the other side?"

The class burst out laughing but soon stopped, hearing Mr. Macintosh raise his voice. "Haha. Very funny Matthew. But just because you're the son of the alpha doesn't mean you don't have to learn this. See me after class."

After that, the class seemed to go on and on. I suppose that's what you get when you pay attention. I feel bad for the smart kids, having to deal with this, seeing as they pay attention.

But, soon enough, class was over and I found myself standing at Mr. Macintosh's desk.

"Matthew, I'm sorry I raised my voice at you earlier. I never thought to think about if maybe you were having troubles at home or something?"

"N-n-no..." I stuttered. "No t-troubles at-t home..."

"Are you sure, Matthew? You could always go talk to the counselor-"

"No, it's fine. There's no troubles at home. I-I just didn't get a lot of sleep last night, Father was having a business party." I couldn't believe I straight up lied to my teacher. Of course, it wasn't entirely a lie, but everyone in the pack knows that Darryl doesn't throw parties, or even communicate with anyone.

"Oh, well get some sleep tonight, okay? I expect you to be paying attention tomorrow."

"Yes, sir. I will. Thank you."

And with that I was excused to my next class, which just so happened to be a free period. Actually I had two free periods.
Technically I should be out of school now, but I had failed a few classes last year, so I was retaking them. I would want to be a smart alpha for when I challenged Darryl. And won. But I was far from that at the moment. Sure, I had access to my wolf. We talked daily, but we weren't very strong. I just had really bad stamina. And strength. Hence the reason I had gym after my two free periods. But we were getting stronger and maybe in a year or so we could beat Darryl and take position of alpha.

I started to walk towards the entrance to the school but paused next to the class Mackenzie was currently in. I peeked into the window and saw her sitting in the front row, as usual.

I felt bad about what I had done earlier. I never liked yelling at her, but I was frustrated with myself for almost asking her if she'd found her mate. Of course she hadn't, she was only 17. I, on the other hand, was 18...and had found my mate. I couldn't tell her it was her though, my mate. She was underage, and she had a boyfriend. I couldn't ruin a great relationship like theirs...they seemed perfect for each other. I hated the guy though, but that was pure mate jealousy.

I stood and admired Mackenzie for a couple moments, then spread my wings and took off, bursting through the front doors of the school to go fly around the territory until I had my next class.