Chapter I

Today, Shelldows Islands, New World...

The Grand Line, an immense expanse of crystal-clear water that stretched for miles and miles, coloring itself a thousand different shades ranging from blue to emerald, so boundless that it was difficult to tell where it ended and the sky then began. Another indecipherable mystery in this vast and unexplored world.

A large, armored Marine vessel was plying the waves of the second half of the New World in an easterly direction, skirting the islands of Shelldows. It was swaying and gasping as never before, at the mercy of the peculiar and bizarre weather in this part of the world. Clouds hung low in the skies, only a few dozen meters from the sea, and a furious wind mixed with snow swept the deck far and wide, foreshadowing how it was ready to pour out its irrepressible fury on the unsuspecting unfortunate.

Overlooking the ship's rail, a man with short brown hair combed to the side and dark eyes that revealed nothing, watched the frightening typhoon looming on the horizon. He was slender and of rather considerable stature, with a long white coat fitted with gold ornaments slung over his shoulders, a smart shirt of the same color and a pair of reddish pants.

«Looks like someone didn't sleep a wink tonight, am I right?» asked a deep voice behind him, and the young man didn't need to turn around to see who it belonged to.

«I don't know Doc, you tell me» he replied with obvious sarcasm, and in response, the other advanced a few steps in his direction. It was a man of medium height and with an extravagant gray mustache, wrapped in a smart pearl-colored suit.

His identity matched that of Edward White, a renowned physician and scientist in the World Government. An individual of rare intelligence and always ready to lend a helping hand, should the need arise.

The brown-haired boy lowered his face, beginning to fiddle nervously with a golden pendant that hung from the chain around his neck.

«It all seems clearer to me now» continued the old man flanking him, «I guess the source of all your worries is that strange trinket you keeps fiddling with, am I wrong, perhaps?» he asked, pointing to the object swinging left and right.

«With all due respect Doc» replied the boy coldly, turning his gaze outward, where the hurricane continued to rage and lightning and thunderbolts ripped through the sky, «But this is none of your business»

«I apologize for my thoughtlessness, Vice Admiral» he said in his usual courteous voice «It was not my intention to pry into your affairs» concluded the elderly man, making a small bow

«There is nothing for you to worry about» the young man tried to reassure him «Everything is all right»

« I don't doubt that. However, if I may permit myself, I would like to expound on a small consideration of mine »

«I'm listening» replied the man who was curious to find out where the old scientist was going with this.

« Soon we will face serious changes that will threaten the delicate balance we have built with sufficient patience and effort. Soon, an unprecedented crisis will convulse the entire planet. Demons are now at our doorstep, and only a genuine miracle could foil the ominous fate that awaits us. And on that dark day, all of us will be placed before a terrible choice. You, first and foremost, will have to face your past, and nothing could save you from carrying such a burden »