1. prologue

soulmates, what are they? soulmates... a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner. sound crazy right? how can the world decide who you are suited for? at least, that's what hajime hinata's thoughts on it were.

hajime hinata. a boring, talentless, average highschool boy. he went to a school called "Hopes Peak Academy," a school that he had always admired. that school is very special, people who only had talents could get into it, unless they were lucky enough to get in. though, there is a section for talentless students that paid to get in, the reserve course section. that just happened to be the section hajime was in.

he had always envied people with talents, especially his brother. izuru kamukura. izuru kamukura, the ultimate hope. izuru was perfect, and everyone admired him. as much as hajime was extremely envious of him, he decided to keep that deep down. he loved his brother dearly, and izuru felt the same.

they were very close, especially when they were kids. they have grown a little distant over the years, but will always be there for each other.

anyway, hajime never really understood nor believed in soulmates. supposedly, once you turn 18, you get these earbuds. they aren't just any old pair of earbuds, they are special. rumor has it that these earbuds allow you to talk to your soulmate. though, you weren't allowed to share anything too personal, name, location, etc. you also could only talk to them if you were both wearing the earbuds, but that's probably obvious. hajime thought this was silly, ever since he was little.

his mother always told him the story of her and his father. how they had talked so much through those earbuds, and one day they bumped into each other at a cáfe, and just instantly knew it was each other. cliché, right? hajime chose to ignore this story, along with the many other stories he had seen.

izuru was older than hajime, but it seemed like he didn't get the "special earbuds" which caused hajime to not believe it more. izuru explained to him multiple times that soulmates were a waste of time, and he didn't feel like talking to his. but hajime refused to believe that and just kept telling himself that izuru didn't in fact get the earbuds.

even some of hajime's friends tried to convince him that soulmates are real, but he just couldn't bring himself to believe it.

he would sometimes drift off into the thought of "soulmates, huh? someone that was meant to be with me? how ridiculous..." but he would always smile the slightest bit when thinking about it.

but, even so, he would still deny it and call people crazy for believing in such a silly joke.
but that all changed after his 18th birthday.