work on it

*Florentine*

I knew I had scared Max, but I hadn't been able to tell him that everything was fine now. It wasn't. That's just not how life went.

Of course I was incredibly happy that he had told me that he loved me and I had been able to see that he meant it, but that didn't make me forget what had happened all the time before.

I loved him and I was willing to work on our relationship if he was too.

Life just wasn't all rosy and easy all the time. And love wasn't either.

But it felt damn good to lie next to him in bed. He had his arms wrapped tightly around me and was still asleep. The first rays of sunlight were shining through the curtains. I was about to snuggle closer to him when I heard a crackle in the house.

Jimmy and Sassy were lying on the carpet in front of my closet.

The cat lady lifted her head and turned her ear. So she had heard it, too. I hadn't imagined it.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

I tried to slide out of bed, but was immediately pulled back by Max "Five more minutes." he grumbled.

"There's someone in the house.", my voice trembled.

Max was awake in an instant. He sat up straight, his eyes wide. He listened. Another crack, there were definitely footsteps. I could see his chest start to rise and fall faster.

"You call the police. I'll take care of him." he growled, getting up from the bed. I slid right up behind him and grabbed his hand.

He turned to me and I immediately started shaking my head violently "Please. He's dangerous. I... Please don't go down there. We'll lock ourselves in here and wait for the police and...", I gasped.

"I'm certainly not going to let someone break into our house, multiple times and then do nothing about it," his voice was dark "This is our house. And I will defend it.", he withdrew his hand from me.

"No, no Max, please.", I sneaked after him and grabbed his hand again.

"Call the police. Stay in the bedroom and close the door.", he said without turning to me "I'll handle it.".

"Max, please.", I heard footsteps again, then a loud thump downstairs.

"Fuck.", Max growled, tearing away from me and running.

I ran back to the bedroom, grabbed my cell phone, then called the police as I ran. I hadn't made it all the way down the stairs when I heard a loud "Fuck!", and then moans of pain. It came from Max and my heart slipped into my pants.

I dropped the phone and skidded and the corner by the stairs and then shot into the kitchen.

Max was sitting on the floor, the chairs overturned.

"Maxie!", I gasped, crouching down in front of him.

"Motherfucker had pepper spray." he growled, keeping his eyes closed, his hand groping for me "Fuck sorry darling, I just should have been more careful. I...", I could see what thought was running through his head.

He was scared. But less because someone had been in our house and more because of the fact that he was worried I might leave.

"Max, this isn't your fault. You shouldn't have gone down there at all. That was totally dangerous and..."

"I'm trying to protect you."

"You are. You don't have to put yourself in danger to do that. Okay? We're lucky it was just pepper spray and not something else."