chapter one - be loud, be merry, be pirates

The ship was taking off at an incredible speed. They had taken four people hostage.
Prince Gillion, Princess Jay, Prince Caspian and his advisor Sir Rudith.
Chip was walking over the deck, gave a mountain of a man a high five and laughed, as he walked up to the royal guests.

He put an arm around Lizzie and over dramatically they bowed. "Are the ropes too tight your highness?", he asked Caspian, who moved a little uncomfortable and laughed, as he kicked up the dust on the deck with his boots.
Suddenly Captain Rose walked up and put a hand on Chips and one on Lizzies shoulder. "Is that how we treat guests?", he asked and Chip crossed his arms. "No, Captain", both the kids mumbled and after a nudge they added a, "Sorry"

"Now off you go", the Captain said and both the brunettes ran off towards the helm, approaching an old Tortle, "I'm sorry about them, they just get very excited when there are new people around."
Without waiting for a response he walked away and with a loud whistle the entire crew suddenly cheered.
"A success has to be celebrated! Be loud! Be merry! And be pirates!", he yelled and a loud, triumphant cheer came back.

The festivities were incredible, something Gillion had never seen before.
Loud and merry they sang shanties and drank Ale and danced.
All when suddenly Elizabeth came up and untied Jay from the big center mast.
"Relax sunshine", she said then the redhead started to try and get free, "Not here to hurt you, I thought you might just want to eat something, heard it's your birthday"

Jay reluctantly followed her over to a bar, expression filled with something like indecisiveness and then Chip walked up to Gillion. He was giggling drunkenly and grabbed Gillion by the jaw.

"You're so gorgeous, how about we dance a bit?", he said and laughed, as he undid the ties from Gill's hands, pulling him onto the dance floor. He grabbed Gill by the waist and started leading him into a dance, fully out of form and etiquette. Gill was confused, but somehow this made him feel good.
It wasn't meant to be perfect and rigid.
It was meant to be fun and dynamic and eventually he almost melted into it, smiled involuntarily and let himself be spun around and followed this strangers lead.
All until the shanty stopped and Chip and him met eyes once more.

He suddenly felt cold, almost like he got caught and quickly he fixed his posture as blush shot onto his cheeks. He looked away and felt ashamed as he got a glimpse of his friends still tied up to the mast, while he was free to dance and laugh out on the deck.
Guilt made his heart sink and he held up his wrists for Chip to tie him back onto the mast. "Out of free will? Is Mister beautiful feeling bad for his little friends?", Chip joked, before he suddenly stopped when he saw the expression on Gill's face.

Wordlessly he got the rope, tied him back up and onto the mast, before walking off, hearing a faint: "My apologies. I shouldn't have-", as he left.

He sat down next to Elizabeth, stole a hotdog from her plate and bit into it.
"Royals are no fun", he hissed frustrated, "Can't even enjoy fun when they get the chance to" "Say it louder, Miss sunshine just asked for a fork and a knife for a hotdog", Lizzie replied and shook her head.
"That's insane.", Chip said and felt her nudging his side. "But that Prince seemed to enjoy the dancing a lot while it lasted" "Yeah and then he felt bad for the others", Chip said and rolled his eyes.

"We should throw them overboard, but two of them can swim", Lizzie said and moved her tankard around so much, the bracelets on her wrist made soft noises and Chip was almost sure she'd spill her whole drink on the counter. "I'm sure all of them can swim", Shay suddenly said, pouring them both a juice. "They're so boring", Lizzie said and Shay pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "We just ripped them out of the life they knew. They won't be loud, they won't be merry, they won't be pirates. Maybe try and teach them about what we do here, fairly and slowly. Figure out their interests. Chip I know Finn taught you chess, maybe one of them can play with you. Or Lizzie, you write poetry don't you? I'm sure you'll find someone with a common interest", she said and sighed as she held them a cup to cheers, "You wouldn't be happy either if you were taken from us and the ship, would you?"

"You're right", they sighed in union and clinked the cups together. "I'll get a chess board", Chip said and stretched after chugging his juice, getting up and searching for the board in a cabinet on the deck, carrying it over, sitting down in front of them.
"Who of you knows how to play?", he asked and Prince Caspian perked up. "I do. Actually we all do", he said and then nudged Gill, "Let Pretzel play, she's the best of us"
"I can't get her out of her tank, my hands are tied", he said and soon his hands were untied by Chip. "I don't know why you would put a Pretzel in a tank, but whatever floats your boat", he said and made a surprised face when he saw a little frogtopus crawling onto Gill's hand. "This is Pretzel", Gill said and she furrowed her eyebrows and cracked her neck, "She knows battle strategy."

Chip looked a bit concerned and put down the last pieces onto the board. "Okay", he mumbled and watched as she moved her pawn. He played his opening move as well, like he had learned from Finn and then suddenly Pretzel pushed out her bishop and squeaked. "That's checkmate", Caspian said and Chips eyes widened, before his brows furrowed. He held Pretzel a finger to shake her little tentacle. "I was just testing you", he said, "I want a rematch"

After ten games, Chip felt broken.
This little creature had just beat him in every game in under ten moves.
"This is insane", he said after the last game and Gillion smiled proudly at Pretzel and gave her uppies. "Good job, Pretzel", he said and let her nuzzle against his cheek.
"So she's like your very smart pet?" "And my best friend. No offense Caspian and Jay", he said. "Non taken", they said at the same time.

"She's surely fascinating", Chip said and then he nodded at Caspian, "Now you, I'll easily beat you" "If you untie my hands" "Can I trust you not to flee?", Chip asked and Caspian pulled up an eyebrow as he looked over at Gillions free wrists. "If he doesn't leave, I won't either", he said and Chip leaned forward and undid the ties, before feeling a mighty slap across his face.

And as he reached for his red cheek, Caspian adjusted the cuffs of his dressing shirt. "That was for the impolite treatment.", he said and Chip pressed his lips together.
"Deserved", he mumbled, before rearranging the figurines, "Go ahead, you start"
Caspian destroyed his ego almost as much as Pretzel had done. "If you take that queen - and I know you're thinking about it - I will flip this board.", Chip said after seeing his mistake of moving his bishop, leaving the queen exposed to Caspians rook.

The genasi chuckled, reached out and took the queen. "You know I'm not allowed to let a checkmate go", he said and Chip flipped the board in frustration.
Rudith next to Caspian looked proud and smirked for the first time since boarding the ship. "Very good, your highness", he said and Caspian smiled. "Thank you, Rudith."

Chip sighed and just as he was quiet for a second he heard Gillion chuckle.
Quietly and he stopped as soon as he saw that Chip noticed. "You can laugh", the brunette said, "What would a life without happiness be? Pretty grey, huh?"
"Etiquette forbids us to laugh out loud, it is impolite, especially if you laugh at people.", he said and Chip furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "What? That's bullshit", he said and Gillion lowered his head.
"Royal etiquette is not always kind on us, but we lead by example and shall behave like role models", he replied, almost as if he quoted a rulebook.

Chip looked over the deck, then pointed at the mountain of a man he had given a high five earlier and leaned to Gillion.
"You see him? That's my role model. He's laughing and I know he does because he's happy. I aspire to be that. Happy. And I won't restrain myself from laughing, cause I learned from him that a smile and a laugh is always a good thing.", he said and then he looked at Gill, so close he felt heat creeping up into his cheeks, "Role models should always teach that happiness comes first and just for now, while you're here, fuck etiquette. If you want to laugh about me flipping the fucking chessboard, then you laugh about me flipping the damn chessboard. Got it?"

Gillion looked at him for a moment, a faint smile tugging on his lips. "If you think that's okay", he said and Chip smiled, nodded.
"I know it is", he said and then he stood up to collect the pieces he had flung around and placed everything on the board again, in front of the prince, "Your move"