Chapter Two-Dance and death; 1945

~~~~Avalon Bay; CLASS OF '45 GRADUATION BALL was written in a huge white colored banner.

The swing music played, as Rosemary and her date Roy arrived in a black colored limo. "Rose", as she was called, was 18.

      She had short, brown  hair, brown eyes, and petite; Roy was 18. He had short, brown hair, brown eyes, and taller than Rosemary. She wore a green colored dress, and slim legs. And silver high-heeled shoes on her feet. And small breasts. Roy wore a US Military suit, brown tie, brown  trousers, a black belt, and brown  socks, and brown, (polished), shoes on his feet.

As couples arrived for the dance, Rosemary was nervous. She knew her letter had had hurt her ex-boyfriend; she knew that she was also hurting as well.

A woman was dressed in a white  long dress. Her long, brown hair was tied up in a bun; her brown  eyes were focused on kissing her GI fiancee. She walked towards the gazebo. "Oh, Charles, I've been waiting so long", she said.  She glided towards him in her silver  high-heels. Charles smiled. "Come here, darling! It's so early. Let's go inside", he said. He wore a white US Navy hat on his head. He wore a blue military uniform; a white belt that was around his waist; and brown socks, and black boots on his feet.

They went inside as well.

The other couples were also arriving: A woman who had short, brown hair tied up in a bun; a man dressed in a black dinner suit, and black bow tie; a woman dressed in a long, green dress, and light, brown hair; a man, (her fiancee), was dressed in a brown US Army uniform.

And they all entered the huge hallway, eager to enjoy the Ball.

***

The gazebo was full of brightly-lit lights. They illumed the dance hall. The Prowler moved ahead. He was dressed in US military clothes: a grey helmet, a grey colored military jacket, grey military trousers, a grey military belt, grey military socks, and black military boots on his feet. He waited for the right time to strike.  And, when he saw Rosemary and Roy, they'll be murdered for betraying his honor...and love. And they'll die...painfully.

***

The stage was big. The MC smiled at his audience. He had short, black  hair, brown eyes, and tall. He wore a black  dinner jacket, a black tie, a white colored shirt, brown trousers, a black belt, brown  socks, and black, (polished), shoes on his feet.

     "Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen! I'm Davis Carteron. I am your MC tonight. As you know, we're honoring our returned servicemen home from Germany. It is a pleasure to know that in New Jersey, we're having a Ball to make our soldies feel good about themselves. And to meet up with their wives, fiancees, and girlfriends. And lovers. And to make sure they'll dance the night away. And, without futher ado, we have a band who'll play your favorites tonight...Including Benny Goodman". The MC said. And, as the music played, the Prowler waited to kill.

***

Rosemary headed to the gazebo with Roy.

         "But we're missing the dance, Rose", Roy said.

They reached the gazebo.

      And, while they kissed, the different colors illumed their faces in the growing darkness. They ignored the dancing...and the music; they were too immersed in themselves to care.

         Suddenly the lights were cut.

*

         "HEY!", Rosemary yelled.

          Then the sound of footsteps disturbed them.

*

And then the Prowler, who was armed with a bayonet in his right hand, thrusted it into Rosemary's throat.

      Hot blood gushed out of her open mouth...As he body went into a violent spasm. The Prowler yanked the bloody bayonet out of Rose's mouth, as flesh tore. Then he rammed the bayonet into Roy's chest.  More blood gushed, as Roy also went into a spasm. And, within a matter of minutes, Rosemary and Roy were dead.

***

The Prowler then fled the gazebo. Once his job was done, he disappeared into the darkness...And wouldn't strike again for another 35 years.

***

Page 2