I. Your Misery Brings Me Joy

———————————————————————

"You know, we have got to stop meeting up like this," Izzy laughed.

The man across from her gave her a blank stare.

"How have your holidays been, Miss Romero?"

Izzy leaned back in the chair and glanced at the man.

"Boring."

Principle Gutierrez continued, "And how have you been?"

"Peachy."

They held eye contact.

"Principle Gutierrez, is there a reason why I'm here? Or did you just wanna say hi to your favourite student?" Izzy flashed a smile at him.

"You are here, Isabela-"

"Izzy."

"-Because I'm worried about you." He slid white sheets across the desk for her. "Your records at this school are, for lack of better words, terrible. Your attendance is the worst in the whole school. In fact, you spend most days absent than present. And you have the most amount of detentions than any other pupil in this school. Ever."

Izzy read the sheets and listened to his words, "Oh, is this my award? Oh, Mr Gutierrez, you shouldn't have."

He ignored her, "No, Isabela-"

"Izzy."

"This is not an award. We don't award students for unacceptable behaviour."

Izzy scrunched her face, "Well... this says most, so I'm calling it an award."

He ignored her, again.

"Your teachers complain about you in every meeting we have. Even the ones that don't teach you. Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about you. Once your name's brought up, the conversation never ends."

She smiled and flicked her short hair away from her face, "Oh, sir. You flatter me."

Once again, he ignored her.

"Miss Romero, I am willing to give you another chance. It's a new school year and I say it calls for a fresh start. You will fix your attendance and put more effort into your work in lessons and you will be on your best behaviour."

"Or what? Will Santa put me on his naughty list?" Izzy joked.

"No, Miss Romero. The consequences will be much worse. Don't underestimate me."

"Woah, Mr Gutierrez. You really put on your big boy pants today, didn't you? I mean I, for one, am frightened."

"Prepare to be more terrified with this next piece of information," The principal smirked.