Chapter 1: Coming Out

Hello, my name is Baliyo. I am the younger brother of Princess Rani, and part of the Night Pride in the Tree of Life. The Tree of Life is home to all animals seeking refuge and need healing. It's led by my grandmother, Queen Janna. I've always had an attraction to male lions, but I would always hide it from the others. I plan on telling my sister first, but I don't know how she will react. I plan on telling her today. This is my story.

After a long night of patrol with the Night Pride, I go to my sister.
Hey, sis?
Rani: Yes, bro? Is something wrong?

Rani can tell something is wrong with me. She's known me for my entire life, but this might change when I tell her the secret I've been holding for a long time.

Well, I have something to tell you... I just don't want you to disown me or something like that..

Rani: Baliyo, what is it you need to tell me? I'm your sister, I'll never disown you.

She smiled at me with such embrace and love because that's how much she cares about me.

I'm attracted to males... I'm... gay..

Rani kept her smile as I looked at her nervously.

Rani: Baliyo.. I've known this. There's a certain way you've been looking at other males, especially Surak.

Her telling me this sent goosebumps radiating through my body. I would blush whenever I would see Surak and the other males.

So... you do accept this? You accept the fact that I'm gay?
Rani: Of course I do, little brother.

She nuzzles me while purring softly, making me feel so comfortable. I'm so happy that she accepts me for who I really am. Suddenly, something comes to mind.

What about grandmother? What about.... Our parents?
Rani: What about them?
I mean.. Will they accept the fact that I'm gay? Will they be able to cope with the fact that I'm...different compared to you?
Rani: Baliyo, don't worry about that right now, you can tell them when you're ready. I'll be hereby your side... Night Pride Forever.

I hug her lovingly, tears are running down my cheeks as I can finally be the lion I truly am around her. That night, the other Night Pride members and I were patrolling. Rani was ahead of us helping one of the nocturnal animals with something. I look over at Surak and Nirmala a little nervously.

Nirmala: Are you ok, Baliyo?
Surak: You've been acting strange all night.

I sighed softly... I had to tell them.

Will you two promise me that you won't tell grandmother?
Surak: It depends on what it is, but.. Sure.
Nirm: Arama Karo, Baliyo.. What's on your mind?

I tell them what I told Rani earlier today. They both smiled and nuzzled me to comfort me.

Nirm: I promise we won't tell Janna... until you're ready.
Surak: Why did you hide this for so long?
Well.. I didn't know how you would react. That's why I told the closest family member first.... My sister.

The three of us look at Rani who is returning from helping one of our very rare animals.
Rani: You told them?
Nirm: Yes, he told us. We accept his coming out.
Surak: Now he needs to tell Sahasi and Ananda.
Rani: Grandmother Janna too...
This is gonna be difficult.. But I need time to think of what I'm gonna say to them.
Surak: That's not a problem, Baliyo.
Nirm: Let us know when you're going to do it.

Sahasi, Ananda, and Janna were very traditional, they never would accept anyone that is a homosexual, so that's why it's hard for me to tell Rani and the others, but I'm sure glad I told them tonight. Once the sun started rising, patrol ended and I went with my sister into her den. She fell asleep first while I rested my head between my paws thinking of how I would tell my parents and grandmother.

I'll tell them in a few days

I fall asleep happy that I told my sister and the rest of the Night Pride

END OF CHAPTER 1