2.

Tapping her wooden pencil lightly against her college-ruled notebook Carmen listened to her professor as he discuss quadratic equations

Tapping her wooden pencil lightly against her college-ruled notebook Carmen listened to her professor as he discuss quadratic equations. She decided to check the time on her phone seeing that it was only five minutes left of class.

" You guys this stuff is really easy don't you think ?" The professor asked getting a few head nods and head shakes. 

The professor sighed as he looked around the classroom." For the ones that are struggling with the material come see me during my office hours."

He took a look at his watch before speaking, " And you all are free to go make sure to check blackboard for assignments which will be posted in the next 15 minutes. Have a great day."

Carmen along with her classmates grabbed their belongings and walked out of the classroom. As made her way out of the lecture hall she felt her phone vibrate in her back pocket. She quickly grabbed it seeing that it was her mother Diane calling.

She accepted the call and held the phone up to her ear," Hello."

" Hey, sweetie what are you up to ?" Diane asked.

" I just got out of class, I'm headed to the library to complete some assignments before I go to work." Carmen replied as she walked past a group of girls.

" Oh okay, how have you been ?"

" I've been doing alright just been busy. How are you and dad ?"

" We're fine just been working like crazy. The two of us are workaholics so that's nothing new." Diane said causing her and Carmen to laugh.

" That's true." Carmen responded.

" I went to see Shawn's mom yesterday she asked about you. I told her that you were in college now. She's really proud of you Carmen." Diane said causing Carmen to smile.

" Her and Shawn's father are working to set up a Memorial Scholarship Fund in honor of Shawn." She continued.

" That's great." 

" Yeah, it is." Diane replied. " Well I'm gonna let you go I love you. Please be safe down there."

" I will and I love you too." Carmen replied before hanging up the phone. She entered the library eager to start on her assignments.

•••