Chapter 3 - Different Species Don't Mix

Unfortunately, when Alana woke up, it wasn't dawn yet, so she couldn't see what Brett claimed would surprise her in the common room, but the girl didn't feel sad about it: she barely managed to sleep, got up early like that because she had a mission in mind and didn't could waste time.

In fact, Alana knew that her mission would require time, so she woke up an hour earlier than the monitor indicated for breakfast. The hall was dark and empty, even the lake was silent. She opened the door to the outside and the cold early morning air hit her face like a fist – the common room was enchanted to always have a pleasant temperature.

She retraced the path she had taken last night, leaving the dungeons. However, as soon as her feet touched the first sign of natural light, near a huge staircase, the real problem began: she had no idea where to go.

Not that it was a problem, Alana was always a mischievous kid, she always got where she wanted to go – just needed find a little help.

She started looking for any sign of life, of sound. If it was an impatient voice, a spider. A flustered one, a mouse. One with a London accent, a cockroach. She didn't quite understand why the latter forced the accent, they said they found it elegant, that life in the big city was a sign of plenty, despite the fact that she found many who preferred life in the countryside.

After 15 minutes, she started to get anxious: she didn't find anything. And to make matters worse, the stairs just wouldn't stay still. Several times she went up one and out of nowhere it disappeared. Her patience over when one of the steps vanished and she slipped on her ass, going down three of them with a not-so-smooth thud.

"You seem to be having trouble finding your destination." A ghost came through the wall next to her. She felt a shiver run through her body as soon as she saw the blood on his clothes. It was the Bloody Baron. "Even if you want to arrive early for breakfast, you could get in trouble if Mr. Filch thinks you are walking around the school too soon".

"I want to get to the Hufflepuff Common Room" Alana said, staring at the floor, maybe it was the ghost's rigid way of speaking or simply the blood, but she was scared to death of him. "Can you show me the way?"

"You certainly weren't the first dissatisfied with the selected house, but you were the first in all my years here that openly asked to be changed. What do you intend? Walk into their common room and pretend you're Hufflepuff?"

"I just want to wait for a friend. Talk to her before breakfast. I imagine I can't sit at the other houses's tables".

"Surely you can't.

"So, I promise I won't do anything inconsequential. Could you help me get there?" Alana forced herself to face the Bloody Baron. She thought it was polite to look someone in the eye when asking for something. "I will owe you a favour".

"What can a little girl like you do for me?"

Alana frowned, blood rising through her small body to her head.

"Small, but at least alive. I'm sure you'll be able to think of something."

The Bloody Baron laughed out loud.

"Well, it's surprising that you even thought of changing houses. All right, I accept your proposal. You will owe me a favour."

The Baron bowed and then explained to Alana how to get to Hufflepuff. As she had already lost a lot of time, she took off running in the indicated direction. There were already other students walking through the castle towards breakfast, She was afraid she would lose sight of Brianna. But surely the stars were aligned with the girl's mission, because as soon as she arrived in front of the passage to the Hufflepuff Common Room, she only waited 5 minutes to find Brianna coming out of there talking to another girl.