01: SLEEPING BEAUTY

Nobody knew how much she wanted to put the sleeping in Sleeping Beauty.

When Mindy and Chad had told her about tonight, she was skeptical about going. It seemed so unappealing to just sit and drink while watching other people make out against the wall, shamelessly reaching second base in front of everyone. There was nothing wrong with staying back at Mindy's dorm and watching a bunch of scary movies or cartoon Halloween specials, but the twins insisted that was no way to celebrate the holiday.

"Are you enjoying the scenery or what, Drina?" Mindy tightened her arm around Anika, the girl giggling as she let herself lean into Mindy's body.

"I've been to funerals that were planned with more liveliness and spirit than this." Audrina answered, sipping the cheap vodka out of her red solo cup.

"The irony." Anika snorted, sipping the alcohol from her own cup.

She may have been laughing but that was indeed no joke. This party seemed like it was planned last minute with the 2021 top hits playlist, cheap alcohol, and stereotypical frat guy costumes that every frat member in the house was wearing. She's seen rocks with more personality than the frat group who threw this party.

"I'm gonna try and find a drink stronger than the Skol shit-storm in my cup." Audrina got up and went to the kitchen, passing but ignoring Tara, as she was clearly enjoying herself here.

Good for her, Audrina thought to herself.

She wasn't actively hating on her, but it sure as hell wasn't easy to ignore the choices she's been making all year round. Not that Audrina would know, she's only ever spoken to Tara only when needed to. And Sam. After last year, she couldn't look at them the same. Or anything. The alcohol helped blur the lines between okay and uncomfortable, but even now, she'd rather just be sober than force any of this shit down her throat.

On the kitchen island, there were empty, discarded red cups, clearly used. There were also empty glass bottles of alcohol, all low shelf shit that would have had Audrina cursing the daylight the following morning. Even a fucking seltzer would have been fine, but when there wasn't anything in sight, she went to the sink to pour the contents of her cup down the sink.

"That's a waste." A voice came from beside her.

She quickly turned to see one of the frat guys standing next to her, clearly taking the costume too literally. But, honestly, what did she expect? It wasn't like the costume was much of a facade.

"So was the money put into your brotherhood, but no one seems to be complaining." She sent him an awkward, tight lipped smile as she tried to swerve her away around him, but like any other below average man with a roaring ego, he moved to prevent her from leaving as if he had a chance with her.

"Where are you going? I'm right here." He stated, most likely believing that the chase was gonna get him something besides a fucking restraining order.

Audrina internally and externally cringed.

"Right, because the cloud of Axe Body Spray and Blue Razz vape that constantly follows you is just what I need." She tried to move past him again, but still he stayed in her way.

"Look, princess," He flicked the little tiara sitting on her head, "no need to be a bitch, just wanted to get to know you a little better. Y'know, see if there was anything I could do for you." The innuendo at the end sent creepy-crawlies down Audrina's spine.

Some men really begged for their feelings to get hurt with the way they acted, and then had the audacity to get upset when the offense started to settle in.

"The only good thing you could do for me and the rest of humanity is to fuck off. Now, move." She pushed past him, not bothering to stick around and hear him curse her out.