Chapter Two

She’s Not Afraid

Chapter Two

{Zayn}

I entered the club feeling restless, my mind still on that girl. There was something about her, something that made me want to know her. Hell, I had never felt this way before. Come one, how weird would it be if you were suddenly crazy about someone you just bumped into and talked to for barely even ten minutes? Have I gone mental?

No Zayn, you’re not crazy about her.

At least, that was I tried to convince myself.

“Zayn?”

I turned around, not sure where I was at the moment (maybe somewhere near the bar – hell, I must find this girl because she seemed to affect me THIS much), and came face to face with a very concerned-looking Liam Payne.

“Oh, hey mate,” I greeted, trying to sound casual.

I was actually still affected by –

Stop thinking about her, Zayn!, a voice inside me protested.

“Are you okay, Zayn?” Liam asked, his voice barely audible compared to the blaring mix by the DJ. I wish I was in the mood to spin tonight. “You look…like you’ve seen a ghost or something.”

I forced a smile. “Sorta," I said, shrugging.

Knowing Liam, he would never let any matter that worries him go that easily.

“You’re not drinking?” Liam asked – amused. "That's a surprise."

I threw him a look. “Not tonight, mate. My head is just way too crazy right now.”

Liam chuckled. “Definitely something’s not right. C’mon, Zayn. Tell me what's going on. It’s not like I’m a stranger. I’m your – “

“Best friend, yeah, I know. I get it Liam,” I finished for him, rolling my eyes. He just had to pull the best friend card. 

But that was just Liam. The best friend anyone would have been grateful having. Liam was always the sensible, over-caring one. He never let us alone to carry our own secrets and solve our own dramas. He always had to ask questions and he always lend a helping hand – or two. Well, Liam right now was just being…well, Liam. He was always there, if not supporting, he would be there to catch us in the end, to make sure we're alright.

“I met a girl. Not just any girl. Any girl would look my way TWICE and just fall for my hair,” I explained, mentally shaking my head at how obnoxious I was sounding. “This girl didn’t even know my name, she didn’t even care to ask, she just…walked away.”

Liam’s face was unreadable at first, and then his expression turned into awe – like he was meeting Leona Lewis for the first time.

Okay, let’s just avoid that topic – let Liam’s fangirl moment be our little secret…

“Liam, are you okay?” I threw his own question at him, raising an eyebrow.

“You’re bluffing, Zayn,” he sniggered. And when my expression remained calm (and maybe a little amused), he added, “You’re not?”

“Why would I lie?” I asked, annoyed.

Liam shrugged. “No girl can resist a Zayn Malik.”

I threw him a blank look.

I had to admit, that was sweet of him. But, shh, don’t blurt any of this to Liam. He would hug me ‘til all of his hamsters die. Okay that didn’t even make sense, but whatever.