Summers On Uranus

It was almost three in the afternoon when they finally released Steve. They made him eat lunch before they would even consider it, so Eddie sat with him and made him eat. He was still nauseated but he ate the food they brought him. Luckily, the hospital food was bland enough that it didn't bother him too much. Once he was processed out and they were at Eddie's van, Eddie opened the door for him and Steve climbed in. Eddie was about to shut the door when Steve cocked his head to one side and gave Eddie a scrutinizing look.

"What's all over you," he asked with a wave of his hand towards Eddie's jeans.

"You don't remember puking on me?" Steve flushed red and shook his head. "Yeah, in the back seat of your car." Eddie shut the door then went around the van and got in. "We'll have to clean out your car. It was pretty rank. And the empty bottles and puke. It'll be fun." Eddie started his van and pulled out of the hospital parking lot. "After we get your car, you're coming home with me, right?"

"Your uncle won't care?" Eddie just shrugged. "Last time I was there, he had a baseball bat."

"He was the star of the state championship Hawkins Tigers baseball team when he was in high school," Eddie said. "Don't piss him off. He can swing that thing effortlessly. And he never misses."

"He was sure quick to pull it out to defend you."

"He's a grumpy old bastard," Eddie laughed. "But he loves me." He laughed again. "Not sure why. I give him way more shit that I'm worth. But he does."

"There's just something about you."

Steve reached over and took Eddie's hand and held it while he drove. When they got to Skull Rock, Steve got out and went to his car. He opened the door then looked back at Eddie.

"You know where I live." Steve nodded even though it wasn't a question. "Follow me." At the trailer, they got out and Steve hesitated, like he was afraid to go in. Eddie tentatively reached for his hand and Steve let him take it. Eddie lifted it and kissed it. "You'll be fine, sweetheart. I promise." Steve nodded so Eddie led him into the trailer. Wayne was sitting in his recliner, reading a newspaper, and looked up, then did a double take when they came in. "Wayne, this is Steve. He's going to be, uhm, staying for a while."

Wayne nodded. "That's fine," he said. "But I don't want no trouble."

"Yes sir," Steve answered quietly.

"Listen to him," Wayne laughed. "Eddie, you should take some lessons in respect from this one." He laughed again. "Sir? No, kid. I'm just Wayne."

"Come on," Eddie said. He tugged Steve's hand and led him to his bedroom. He pushed the door closed behind them then turned to face Steve. "Breathe, Steve," he laughed. "He's really not so bad. Just keep your hands off his coffee cup, the black Harley Davidson one, and his stash of peanut butter cups. He keeps them hidden in the cabinet above the refrigerator and thinks I don't know about them. Follow those two rules, and don't wake him up when he's been out drinking late with his buddies, and you'll be okay."

"That's okay," Steve said. "I don't like coffee or peanut butter."

"Don't let him hear you say that," Eddie laughed. "He'd brand you a heretic." He kissed Steve softly then finally let go of his hand. "I'm going to take a shower and change clothes," he told him. "Then you can shower or whatever. Do you have clothes in your car?"

"Yeah, there's a suitcase in the trunk."

"Make yourself comfortable. I'll get it."

When Eddie was done with his shower, he went out to Steve's car and brought his suitcase in. In his bedroom, he found Steve standing at the desk holding a small metal sculpture of the Eiffel Tower that Eddie kept sitting there. He was turning it over in his hand, lost in thought. Eddie put the suitcase on the bed and started taking clothes out. He hung the shirts and pants in his closet with his own clothes, then made room in one of his drawers for Steve's socks and underwear. Steve helped Eddie put the clothes away then went back to the desk and picked up the Eiffel Tower again.