A Little Thing That Matters...

Chimon

I turned away, afraid he'd see me in the terrible state I was in.

"Hey! Mon? What's wrong?" He jogged over and sat on the bench beside me, I conveniently turned my head away. "What's up Chim?"

He used two fingers to gently tilt my face towards his, his eyes widening at what he saw. "Who did this to you!? Goodness Chimon!" His fingers lightly grazed the red swollen cheek, which was enough to make me start to cry.

He immediately jerked his fingers back and instead of hurting me as I'd expected for some reason. He wrapped his arms around me, which made me sob even more. At this, he hugged me even tighter. "Shhh...everything will be okay Chimon. I promise. Everything will be okay."

"It won't be...you keep saying that Perth, but it's not okay!" I cried.

He pressed my head against his chest when I flinched expected to be hurt, or screamed back at. Instead he ran his hands gently through my hair. "I can't help you if I don't know what's wrong dear... you know that."

I shook my head and sniffled, "I don't... I don't want you to know."

He gave a sad smile to me, "I know,"

He then handed me a tissue and I proceeded to wipe my tear soaked face, and murmured a sorry for crying.

"You never have to apologize for being upset Chimon." He shook his head. "I love you"

And that was all it took to get me crying again. He smiled at me, "Aww come on Chim, I'm not the worst person in the world to fall in love with!"

"You're the best," I cried.

He grinned, "Don't cry Chim, why are you crying."

"Nobody's ever told me that before."

"What, not to c—oh. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you."

I hugged him tightly as I cried, not sure why I was crying, but sure that I felt safe in his strong, supporting arms.

"Hey Perth?" I asked quietly.

"Hmm?"

"I love you too." I murmured softly, liking the way the words rolled off my tongue without caution.

He grinned a thousand watt grin, hugged me tight and lifted me in the air. "Oh Chim!"

He softly put me back down and I hid my blush in his shoulder, feeling unbelievably happy. I'd found a job a week ago, I found the love of my life...I found an amazing home I wanted to move into, I just had to get rid of...

My dad.

He came up with a beer bottle in his hands, drunk as anything and I let out a choking sound when I saw him.

"So that's where you've been huh? Fooling around with this useless boy." He slurred.

"He's not useless," I whispered staring at the ground and avoided Perth's gaze.

"Chimon?" Perth whispered softly.

I didn't respond.

"What'd you say to me?" Dad asked.

"Nothing," I said, panic evident in my voice.

And then Dad's anger exploded. "Come here you..." He grabbed my hair and yanked me over fist raised ready to punch me.

But right before he did, Perth got in the way.

"Perth!" I whimpered, "Go..."

"You can't do this to him! You have no right to! He's a legal adult and he can do what he wants!" Perth spoke for me, things I'd wanted to say.