CHAPTER SIX

The manor was quiet, the only sound tangible Adella's soft breaths as she got the house ready for the day

The manor was quiet, the only sound tangible Adella's soft breaths as she got the house ready for the day. It was early morning and the sun had only just begun to wake up. Thousands of burning embers bleeding onto the sky, it's masterpiece reflecting onto the seas dark waters in the distance. If she listened close enough, she could hear the waves as they crashed onto the shore, it's water soaking the sand and sweeping up anything worth it's keeping.

It was mornings like these that Adella felt herself transported back in time to just another day. Her mother would be in the kitchen cooking up some pastry for breakfast, Tanner would be helping her, the two's laughter sounding throughout the whole house. Adella's heart warmed at the thought. Her father would be at the market probably buying some treat for the family while Adella would help and set the table. Once the food was ready and her father had arrived home, they would all sit at the table, chattering on about local gossip and school. It was now that she wished she appreciated those moments more when she was living them.

She recalled the last ever morning when life was somewhat normal and even then, it was still tainted with the games. It was the reaping day, her reaping day, and the family were all sat at the table in silence, an abnormality for the family as they slowly digested their food.

Adella watched timidly at her parents faces as they ate, expressions of anger and sadness alike masked for their children. Adella could see through it though, it was in their eyes. Her mothers were constantly glossy with grief, a blink away from leaking fretful tears while her fathers squinted permanently, momentarily softening as his gaze fell on his children.

Adella sighed, the floorboards squeaking beneath her feet as she made her way through the school, a reminder of what she lost. The blonde paused slightly as her childhood bedroom came into view. It was the only room in the house that was left untouched, tucked away in the back of the house, full of memoirs of her old life.

Slowly, she made her way towards the shut door, the same door she barely ever opened. It was funny how she feared things of good nature. Hesitantly, she opened the door, allowing the memory to wash over her in one big, uncontrollable wave.

The birds outside her window chirped happily as she stirred in her sleep, her mothers hand rubbing her shoulder comfortingly. It was a bittersweet way to wake up, for a moment the blonde thought she was once again small, still very much reliant on her mother to help her with the small things that now, seemed effortless. Yet, on today of all days, it was very hard to hide the fact that she still desperately needed her mummy.

Wordlessly, the blonde got up out of bed smiling anxiously as her mother quickly pecked her cheek. "Go sit in the chair." She smiled sweetly at her not so little girl, her smile instantly easing Adella's nerves.

It was the same every reaping morning, her mother would do her hair, whispering words of reassurance into her ear like a string of comforting choruses, her soft hands working delicately on the girls blonde curls. The women sighed quietly, reminiscing not so fondly back to a time where the 15 year old in front of her was once a 12 year old, the memory of all the years from before dancing mockingly in front of her eyes.