✯ TWO

"I don't think I can do this

"I don't think I can do this."

The plan had been to act friendly with Lee Jeonghyeon when Yena and Junghyun were around, but in the two days since starting, she was ready to call it quits. 

Yena forced her lips into a pout as she eyed her best friend. Ahram sighed. The younger girl always used her cuteness to her advantage, and Ahram was unfortunately susceptible.

"Yena, you know I love you, and I love that you and Junghyun are getting along, but I can't do this."

She did feel bad. It wasn't like she wanted to let her best friend down. They'd only known each other since the start of the year when Yena joined as a freshman, but they instantly clicked. At first, she would only follow Ahram around like a duckling, but once the elder invited her to lunch, they became inseparable.

That's why Ahram wanted nothing more than for Yena to be with her first love. Well, maybe not anything. Beating Lee Jeonghyeon with a Rubik's cube did sound quite tempting.

Still, she could understand why Yena looked away to try and hide her glassy eyes. "No, you're right. Why would I be with someone who can't accept my best friend? I mean, it's not even Munjung," she sighed. "No wonder you hate Leejeong!"

Her words were lighthearted and bubbly, but they made Ahram's heartache. Maybe... Just this once. For Yena.

Ahram rubbed her forehead once before dropping her hand and smiling at the younger. "Yena?"

Yena gave a distracted hum. Ahram chewed at the corner of her lips. "Go tell Junghyun that Jeonghyeon and I will be studying together later." She spat the following words through clenched teeth. "To talk."

The bitter taste in her mouth didn't go away, not even when Yena jumped up and down, laughing and thanking her profusely.

What have I gotten myself into?

"I knew you'd come around," Jeonghyeon greeted when he saw Ahram approaching his table. She'd managed to get ahold of him through his school email and asked him to meet her at the library after lunch since she knew they both had a free period then.

The girl dropped into the hard plastic chair with a harsh exhale through her nose. She shot a glare at the grinning boy across the table. "Trust me. I wouldn't be here if not for Yena."

A smirk danced across Jeonghyun's face, pulling his already grinning lips into a smile. "You don't need to use excuses with me, Acorn, I get it. You love my presence."

"Ugh," the girl groaned. "You're so full of yourself it's disgusting."

How she'd managed to put up with this boy for three years was impossible to explain, yet Ahram was oddly satisfied to have lasted this long. She was ready to graduate and prepared to do that without "Leejeong" overshadowing her.