Chapter 14: A Hand-Written Letter

A few nights later, Camilla had gotten home from work late. She entered the house to the sound of blasting music coming from the kitchen. Rounding the corner, she found her wife and her little girl dancing and singing along as Paramore bellowed from a bluetooth speaker. The pair hadn't noticed Camilla's entrance until Evie spun excitedly in a circle and caught her sight.

"Mama!" the girl cheered excitedly as she ran over to her. 

"Well hello there, babygirl," Camilla answered, picking up the girl up by her underarms and swinging her gently in a circle to the music. 

Evie giggled giddily, "Mama, you gonna make me dizzy!" 

Eventually, Camilla stopped and let the girl climb up onto her hip. Evie nuzzled her head cozily into the woman's chest. Having noticed Camilla's homecoming as well, Lucia turned the music down so that she could greet her wife without having to yell. 

"How was your day, my love?" Lucia asked as she walked over and landed a loving kiss on Camilla's lips, prompting a chuckle from the girl between them. That's when Lucia noticed the slight frown that was curling across Camilla's lips. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing, I just... we got this..." She hesitated for a moment before pulling an envelope out of her pocket, "This came in the mail."

"Who's it for?" Lucia asked.

"It's for... Evie," her wife answered. 

At the mention of her name, Evie froze with panic. Thoughts raced through her head about who the letter could possibly be from. The envelope was very much human-sized, so she assumed it was somebody not from Colossus. 

Camilla put the girl down before handing her the letter. Evie's heart sank at the sight of the return address. "Violet Jacobs" was written in the corner of the envelope. Her sister. Her mean, selfish bully of a sister. 

Tearing the envelope open gently, the trio were silent as she unfolded and read the letter to herself. When she finished reading, the girl looked up from the letter at her Mama and Mommy, anxious tears forming in her eyes. 

"Is everything okay, sweetheart?" Camilla asked as the two women knelt down to meet Evie's eye line. 

"My family," Evie began to respond, "My other family. They're looking for me." 

"Looking for you?" Lucia asked curiously.

Instead of explaining, Evie just handed the women the letter and let them read it:

Evie, where the FUCK are you? I've been calling and texting you for weeks. Mom and dad are worried sick, and they even sent me to the city to check on you. But when I got there, your landlord said you had left the country?? He gave me this guy, Luka's, card and said I could send you mail through him. What the fuck are you doing, Evie, and who the fuck are you with?  I don't know where you could be where I would have to send you a fucking letter but if I don't hear back from you soon, mom and dad are getting the government involved to look for you. God fucking dammit, Evie, It's always gotta be something with you doesn't it?

-Violet

As the two Colossi were consumed by the contents of the letter, Evie was spiraling deeper and deeper into anxious thoughts about her family looking for her. Breathing became difficult for her as she struggled to come to terms with what Violet had just written to her.

"Baby, baby, it's okay. Come here," Lucia quickly consoled as she noticed the smaller girl heading into a full-blown panic attack. 

"I- I-, I didn't think-," Evie tried to explain before getting gently shushed by her Mama and Mommy.

"Baby, just try to focus on breathing for now, okay?" Camilla told her as she emulated the breaths that she wanted the girl to take. 

Evie nodded as tears and choked sobs flooded out of her. After a few moments of focusing intently on her Mama's breathing, she was able to regain the steadiness of her breath and started to calm down. But as she settled, she started to feel her mind grow fuzzy as she fell deep into her little headspace. 

"Can you tell us what's making you so upset, sweetheart?" Lucia asked, not noticing Evie's slip in her tiny headspace.

The only response the woman got was a pair of tiny, puffy eyes looking up at her as Evie's thumb made it's way into her mouth. The girl had heard her Mommy's question but couldn't quite figure out what she was saying. Her mind was far too small to comprehend words.

"I think someone's really tiny," Camilla doted as she picked Evie up. 

The girl's legs quickly wrapped around her Mama's torso as she nestled her head onto the woman's chest. 

"We can talk about it later, babygirl," Lucia assured as she planted a gentle kiss on the tip of the girl's nose, making her giggle.

Evie didn't eat much at dinner. When Camilla tried to put her in the high chair, she immediately started crying, reaching for her Mama to pick her back up. After a handful of attempts to feed her the chicken that Lucia had cooked to no avail, the pair finally gave in and the girl spent the rest of dinner on Camilla's lap. Though she still refused to eat any of the food that her Mommy had made. 

That's when Camilla felt a tugging on the collar of her shirt followed by whining whimpers. Evie was trying to pull the woman's shirt collar down, but the buttoned blouse wouldn't stretch enough to give access to what she wanted.

"Maybe she's hungry after all," Lucia said sarcastically.

Camilla chuckled at her wife's remark, "Sweetheart, I don't know if my milk has come in yet," she said cautiously.

Evie wasn't having it though. She continued to pull and tug on her Mama's shirt to the point where Camilla was afraid she would rip a button off.

"Might as well try," Lucia mentioned with a humored shrug.

"I don't know if I can get by shirt and bra undone with her on my lap like this though," Camilla responded, fidgeting with the strap of her bra unsuccessfully.

"Here, I'll take her so you can get settled," answered her wife.

Picking Evie up from her underarms, Lucia immediately felt the wrath of the stubborn little girl who wasn't getting what she wanted. Whines turned into shrieks as the girl kicked and squirmed in the woman's arms. Any attempt at lulling the little into calm was met with teary-eyed dismay as Evie reached for Camilla as though she was her lifeline. 

Camilla moved as swiftly as she could, but eventually grew so frustrated with her apparel that she opted to take off her shirt and bra in it's entirety. Even through Evie's tantrum, Lucia blushed with excitement at the sight of her nearly-nude partner. 

But she was eventually snapped out of the split second images of what she'd like to do with Camilla later that night and returned the kicking, screaming girl to her wife's lap. Once back where she wanted to be, Evie shifted her body so that she could indulge in what she had been waiting for.

Much to both women's surprise, the girl wasn't just dry-nursing. She was drinking milk! Camilla looked up at Lucia, happy tears instantly forming in the corners of both pairs of eyes. 

"Your milk. It came in!" Lucia exclaimed excitedly. 

"It came in!" Camilla answered, a smile beaming across her face. 

Meanwhile, Evie felt rest. After a moment of intense stress and anxiety, she felt a serenity incomparable to any she'd ever felt. She found a natural rhythm as she suckled. And while she got upset for a brief moment when her Mama pulled her away from her nipple, she rediscovered that peace when she was placed gently at the other nipple. 

In the back of her mind, through the fuzziness and warmth of her littleness, the worries of Violet's letter still lingered. But for that moment those stresses were kept well at bay by the love that she felt from the two women who had changed her whole life.