Chapter-5

Dad and mom were dancing in the centre of the room accompanied by my brother and his girlfriend. Both my friends were also on stage with some random guys from our school, I only knew one of them ‘Lawrence Harrison'. I recognised him as Cade’s classmate and a friend of his and Kyle. He was on stage with Ash, they both were looking so good that I envied it for a moment, but the smile I carried was enough  to tell anyone about my happiness looking at those pairs dancing on the floor. I wished I could get the same experience with Kenny. I turned my head to the left looking at the corner where I could supposedly find him, but to my dismay I couldn't get a single glance of him there. I travelled my eyes to each corner where he could be, when a shadow appeared in front of me. I was a little flustered at the sudden presence and was about to lose my footing when somebody helped me with his strong arms. My view was a little blurry due to some unknown reason but as soon as it cleared my eyes widened and a shriek almost left my lips.

“Falling for me at the very sight of me. It doesn't suit you.” He winked and my body went into a sauna of heat.

“Shut up and help me to stand properly!! And why are you here??" I reckoned still in his arms feeling butterflies in my stomach.

“ Uh… huh…. Well I saw my angel was all alone on her birthday, so here I'm to accompany you.” He exclaimed, helping me to get my posture.

“Huh??” I was surprised, which was an understatement at the time, I was completely dazed.

“ May I have the honour to dance with the lady of the day?”  he bowed like a gentleman and I for once almost shouted in excitement. I felt it was a dream. I just now was wishing to dance with him and now he is asking me to. Oh… myy…. Godd ….. ohh….. my….. god …

“ Uh… A-Alright.” I stuttered and a smirk formed on his face as he held my hand and took me to the stage.

The song playing right now was the same as that time, people on stage with us were the same but the only difference was now I'm dancing with some guy friend of my brother whose introduction is still due to him.

I don't know how I ended up on stage with this guy beside me but now I feel thankful that I'm here, it helped to reduce some of my anxiety.

“Ahem…. If you don't mind, gentleman , can I have your date for a dance.” I heard his voice beside me and froze in place. I turned around to find him looking directly in my eyes. A small smile playing on those lips. I knew that smile….. 

“O-Of Course!!” The man shrieked, maybe in a surprise but that passed very quickly cause the next moment I remember I was in the arms of Kenneth. One of his hands rested on waist and the other held mine. While my other hand was on his shoulder. I had my heels on but still I felt like I was a dwarf in front of him. I had a good height of 5 '7'' but still with those heels I only reached his nose. We both moved on the beat of the song in perfect rhythm as if it was meant to be.

I felt like I was in a dream and dancing with him till dawn. Just like in the story of the 12 princesses…. My heartbeat was on a rollercoaster ride and my nerves were about to burst in excitement…. It was after so many years I felt him so close to me…. The little girl inside me who fell for him was happy, excited and on the moon whereas the girl I'm now felt the pain of him not being mine…. Of not being the one who gets to dance with him like this forever…… I wanted to stop the time and freeze the moment…. I wanted to be with him like this for eternity….. 

Our dreams are young and we both know.” His melodious voice reached my ears only to make my heart dance breaking the trance it was in, he sang the lyrics and my heart danced on his beats. I could not control it anymore, his voice was controlling my heart just like a thread controls a puppet. He was lost in music and I was lost in him….his closed eyes were just as beautiful as they are open… his eyelashes were long and curved they enhanced the beauty of those closed eyes to the extent that I could not gather the will to Remove my sight from his eyes…. 

They'll take us where we want to go….. hold me now…. Touch me now….. I don't want to live without you!!” his eyes opened suddenly and made me freeze for a second. They held that intensity in them which can make anyone quiver under them, but for some reason that intensity didn't seem to scare me, instead it made my heart flutter more. I looked in those eyes searching for what I saw in them a few minutes ago when he looked at her. I searched every depth of his eyes for what I had in mind for him….. I didn't find it. I couldn't……

He didn't reciprocate my feelings to even a quite small extent. He loved her….. I saw it in his eyes when he looked at her.

“Why?” I didn't realise that the question I had in my mind for the last 7 years was now on my lips. It was a mare whisper but i could hear all my doubts, all my ache and all my queries in it.

“Huh?” His eyebrows furrowed and I realised what I just said. 

“N-nothing….. i-i was just…. Just thinking something and thought it out loud.” I tried to cover the lie with an awkward laugh but failed terribly when tears threatened my eyes.

“I need to use the lady's room…. Excuse me.” I untangled my hands from his body and stepped back, looking in his eyes for the last time…… searching for the feeling I knew I'd never find in them.

 I didn't……