Chapter 7

Joel was eating breakfast when his cell phone rang. He put down his fork and grabbed the phone. The caller ID revealed it was Rose. He accepted the call.

"Good morning, Rose," he said.

"Good morning, dear," she said. "How are you doing on your own?"

"I'm doing all right," Joel replied. "How is Peyton?"

"I don't want you to worry about her," Rose said. "She's doing fine. She's eating breakfast."

"That's good." Joel reached for his coffee cup and took a drink. "I feel better knowing you're taking care of her."

"We'll both be able to take care of her," Rose said. "She's agreed to move in with us."

Joel wanted to shout with joy. He was so happy. "What changed her mind?"

"I promised her that I would keep you in line and that I wouldn't let you become so overprotective that you smothered her," Rose said.

"I'll do my best not to smother her," Joel said. "It won't be easy controlling myself though. I have a strong urge to cover her in bubble wrap and lock her away."

"Oh, Lord," Rose said. "You're going to be a handful."

Joel chuckled. "You and Peyton can handle me. We'll talk more when I pick up you and Peyton tonight. I'll be there around six."

"You know, Peyton and I can just meet you at your father's," Rose said. "You don't have to pick us up."

"Yes, I do." Joel grimaced. "I'm being overprotective, aren't I?"

"It sounds like it, honey," Rose said.

"I'll work on it," Joel sighed heavily. "You and Peyton can meet me at Dad's."

"I promise I will take care of her," Rose said. "We will see you tonight. Have a good day."

Joel thanked her and ended the call. No sooner had he put down the phone and it started ringing. He glanced at the caller ID. It was Kendra. Against his better judgment, he took the call.

"What do you want, Kendra?" he demanded to know.

"You left some of your things at my place," she answered coolly.

"Do what you want with it," Joel said. "I don't care. Is there anything else?"

"Yeah," Kendra said. "I left some things at your place."

"I'll box everything up and you can pick it up tomorrow," Joel told her.

"Fine," Kendra said. "I'll let you get back to your whore."

Refusing to let her get a rise out of him, Joel disconnected the call. Instead of returning to his breakfast, he called his father.

"Hello, son," Mr. Wells said, coming on the line.

"Hey, Dad," Joel said. "I wanted to let you know that Peyton and Rose agreed to dinner tonight."

"Good," Mr. Wells said. "I'm glad they agreed, because I made up the meatloaf last night. I'll take it out of the fridge and pop it in the oven when I get home from work."

"I have some more good news to share with you," Joel said. "Peyton has agreed to move in with me."

"As a man who has lived with a pregnant woman, let me give you a little advice," Mr. Wells said. "Don't hover over her. You'll drive her crazy. If you want to keep the peace, you'll give her some space."

"I'll remember that," Joel said. "See you tonight, Dad."

"See you tonight, son."

Peyton heard the bell above the door and glanced up from a rack of dresses. The sight of Kendra entering the shop sent dread tearing through her. She beckoned to Jodie, who was nearby straightening a rack of blouses.

"Yeah, boss?" Jodie said, walking over to Peyton.

"I'm going to my office," Peyton informed her in a low voice. "The woman that just walked in, watch her discreetly. Let me know when she leaves. If she asks to see me, tell her I'm not here."

"Got it," Jodie muttered.

Peyton ducked and hurried as quickly and safely as she could to her office. She breathed easier once she was behind a closed door. Taking a seat at her desk, she turned to the computer and checked her email.

While she kept busy, she thought of Kendra and wondered what Joel's ex wanted. Was she here to cause trouble? Peyton hoped not. She didn't need drama in her life. It wasn't good for her and the baby.

Jodie knocked on the door and then entered the office, a few minutes later. "She's gone, boss. You can come out now."

Peyton sat back, placing a hand on her belly. "What did she want?"

"To talk to you," Jodie said. "I did as you asked and told her you weren't here. She didn't believe me. She demanded to talk to you. I told her she couldn't, because you weren't here. She raised her hand, like she was going to hit me. I told her if she hit me, I would call the cops and press charges. She backed off then. Anyway, I told her to leave and not to come back."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," Peyton said.

"Don't worry about it." Jodie leaned against the desk. "She seemed like a real wack job. Mind if I ask how you know her?"

"After what you went through, you deserve to know," Peyton said. "She's Joel's ex-girlfriend."

"He dated that crazy witch?" Jodie said, arching an eyebrow.

"Unfortunately," Peyton uttered dryly. "Thank you for helping me out. I would have dealt with her myself, but I didn't want to put myself in a situation that could have turned violent."

"I get it," Jodie said. "You were looking out for the little one. It was the right thing to do."

The phone rang out front. Jodie excused herself and went to answer it. Peyton stared off into space, a question burning in her mind. What was Kendra going to do next.

END OF SAMPLE