A Little Bit Brighter

Ruby was broken. She didn't trust this world- trust herself. And if she didn't trust this world, the only option was to leave it, right? Not forever... just for a little while. Just for a little while, she promised herself. And then everything'll be okay.

She looked up to her teammates, and smiled a sad smile. She picked up the cup of tea Neo had offered her. One way or the other, she was going to change. She lifted the tea to her lips, and her eyes met Weiss's. Just for a second, she hesitated.

Just for a second. Because then Weiss ran toward her. Ruby felt something stir inside her, and then, in nothing short of a miracle, her aura shimmered the same color as Ruby's. Everything changed the moment that it happened. It felt as if Ruby was using her semblance, but she wasn't. It took her a half second to realize that Weiss was the one using her semblance. Ruby was so startled she dropped the cup of tea, and Weiss dashed to the side, having picked her up.

Ruby looked at Weiss and Weiss looked at Ruby. Weiss quickly set her down and apologized. The cup of tea that Ruby had been previously holding was now broken on the ground (much to Neo's dismay).

It was so silent you could hear a pin drop. Until Jaune spoke quietly, "Weiss? What was that?" He looked nervous. Even the giant white version of the Curious Cat seemed to be at a standstill. "Did you just use Ruby's semblance?"

Ruby's breath caught in her throat. That wasn't possible. Was it?

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

It was like the whole world had lost its meaning and then found a new one. Ruby had helped Weiss, but Weiss had felt stupid for not understanding what Ruby was going through. Not understanding that maybe Ruby was the one who really needed help.

She looked at her partner and smiled ever so slightly. "No more tea for you." Ruby smiled sadly, and Weiss offered her a hand to help her up. "Hey, um, Ruby?" Weiss offered. Ruby turned to look at her. "I think maybe we should... talk about why you're so upset. All of us," Weis added.

Everyone nodded their agreement. Ruby sighed and sat down. "I have to be the leader! The hero. I don't think I'm ready for that. I don't think I ever will be. I don't feel like I'm stronger, I don't feel braver. I just feel...

"I feel like I'm taking up space," she finished. "And there's no reason for me to do that." She sat back down on the ground, her Aura shimmering as the varying bruises from Neo's little pet summons disappeared and were healed. Jaune had put his hand on Ruby's shoulder and was using his semblance to heal her aura.

Then a loud rumble filled the sky. "A storm's coming," noted the Curious Cat. He smiled cruelly. "I guess we're at another crossroads, eh?" Jaune's eyes widened, and everyone froze with shock. What were the odds? They had to be slim, right? The cat laughed and disappeared, his grin going last as he spoke, "Good luck, humans."

Weiss looked up, and she was back on the train that she'd been on when they were headed for Atlas. Ruby stood at the other side. None of their teammates were to be seen.

Her eyes widened, and she understood. Just like Yang and Blake, this was her and Ruby's crossroad.

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

Ruby eyed Weiss from where she stood. Why were they the only ones here? She took a step forward, trying to walk toward her. But then it seemed like she was only getting further away, as if some force was pushing them apart.

She looked at Weiss again and started running faster. But she seemed to be even further away. Weiss started running, too; but it seemed they were just being pushed further and further apart. Finally, Ruby fell to her knees, full-on sobbing. Why was this happening?

Why couldn't she just talk to her friend? What needed to happen for them to finally be together? Was it even possible?

She just...

She just wanted Weiss to save her. 

Was that too much to ask? As she looked up at Weiss again, she decided to let the world know at the very least what she wanted. She looked at Weiss, and they both seemed to whisper three words that would remain ingrained in their minds for a long time.

Please save me.

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

The crossroads vanished, and Ruby and Weiss had somehow wound up in each other's arms. They both exchanged glances, and then stood up, laughing. "Wow. I guess I have to save you now," Weiss said playfully.

Ruby looked into her eyes, the smile that Weiss knew so well having returned. She leaned over and kissed Weiss on the nose gently. "You already did."

They both turned to their teammates as they also escaped their crossroads, their hearts beating a little bit faster, their eyes shining...

just a little bit brighter.

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

A/N: Yes, this is a reference to what RT is doing with Whiterose. I haven't watched Ch. 9 yet, but I have a feeling it didn't wind up like this. But the feeling of the constant distance between them- every time they give us something that could be Whiterose, some idiot like Jaune (sorry White Knight shippers) messes it up- it just makes me think of this. I don't know why....

Sorry if it's a bit short. I'm doing my best.