52

Heron Her Lomeon | 78th day of Sprout season

If it wasn't for the lightning stones, Heron would enter the bathing room right away to wash the stink and clamminess from his training. With the threat of Gulgra looming over them, what a pity it would be for him to die from accidental self-inflicted electrocution.

Lightning vest still on, he walked past the double doors of the bathing room and aimed for his chambers.

Passing blue guards standing along the corridor, a whisper echoed from behind him, "Finally. I was starting to lose hope." Heron made no case of it at first, walked a few paces forward, then the familiarity of the voice hit him—Wylmon.

He glanced behind him and then quickly turned back forward. How careless could he be?

Heron stood there disoriented for a moment then he adopted an authoritative tone and said,  "Come to my chambers, please." Judging by the questioning stares the other guards there threw his way, Heron understood perhaps he had overplayed it. "Quickly," he said nonetheless, rushing his steps. If Master Salmior found this inconsequential boy here— Ancients!

"Weren't you supposed to be traveling by now?" Heron shouted as soon as he shut the door of his chambers behind Wylmon. He was glad Wylmon hadn't traveled after all, but still what a careless attitude! "What are you doing here?"

Strangely Wylmon paced around the room. "Strange to see you angry, you," he said. "Your wife isn't around?"

"It doesn't matter," Heron affirmed. "Answer my question. Why are you so careless?"

"Look who's talking?" Wylmon said. "No platter of fruits and roots this time?"

Heron realized Wylmon was trying to annoy him on purpose. He didn't press anymore and it worked.

"You're so arrogant, it doesn't cross your mind that if I am here there must be a good reason, right?"

Heron wondered if he needed to excuse himself. Just to speed the process, if anything. He chose silence in the end.

"Don't go to the enlistment trials," Wylmon said. Heron approached him with an inquisitive look, trying to make sense of his demand. "I was back in the academy of Gulgra this morning. They were responsible for the collapse of the bridge in the city. A bigger attack is planned during the festivals of enlistment this year."

Heron felt suddenly tired. He wanted to ask how Wylmon knew that, but he opted for asking something more urgent. "They are trying to kill people in great numbers?" The thought of it already sent a chill through him.

Wylmon didn't look at Heron as he responded, "Seems so." It was as if he was accepting the burden of shame of his kind.

More and more, Heron was convinced he was to trust all the knowledge he got from the works in the secret chambers. They would open a hole in the Order of the Shadows. Countless would die. "You should tell me where the academy is, Wylmon."

"Then what happens next?" he asked. "You grab your Opace weapons and repeat what you have done three hundred years ago? I came here to warn you, not to fulfill the Monarchy's thirst for my kind's blood. Ask your father to cancel enlistment, don't allow people to reunite during enlistment day. Whatever you decide, I'm not giving blood to leeches."

"That's not going to happen this time."

"If it depends on me, no, it won't. You're warned. Now I have to go. I'm late. I need to cross the border by deepnight. Whatever you decide to do, good luck."

The hunt on Gulgra would probably be launched tonight. Wylmon would, most likely, be arrested at the border. Heron needed to keep him from going but telling him the truth would defy the point he was trying to make.