Academy [1]

You awaken to a bright light shining in your eyes, your older brother swinging open the curtains.

He gently carressed your face with his gentle hand, his brown wavy hair and brown doe eyes sweetly looking up at you.

"Sis, uni starts in an hour. you won't be late, right?." His deep voice rang through your ears.

You pull yourself up with the help of his rough hands. "Ren... What about mom..?" You question in a worried tone, your lips curving downwards, slowly forming a frown to what was about to be broken.

"You don't need to worry. She's getting better." He smiled, the shine in his eyes dissapering suddenly.
"Someone like her would never give into cancer."
His hesitant words instantly hinted that it was serious.

You begin walking over to your cheap knock-off mahogany dresser, cracked and messy. It was found on the side of the road years ago -  and taking your uniform from the bottom drawer.

"I know, Ren. The Makino family never gave in to sickness." Your words fluttered off your toungue as the worried aura spread across the cold room, full of morning breeze.

You ignored every last negative feeling, smiling at Ren.
"Thanks. I'll be ready in half an hour." You mumbled in a tired, raspy voice.

Ren turned back, walking out of the door - around and gently shutting it. You paused to observe the uniform accessory choice. As you heard, your brother groaned in frustration to not being able to close the creaky, lopsided door.

"Ugh, Ren! Leave it!" You yell as you jump out of your pygama pants on one foot, and you lazily slide on your school skirt and white blouse over the skirt to make it seem shorter.

Dress codes at that school suck anyway!

The moment you begin to pick up a cheap, red eyeliner pencil after normal eyeliner, you hear your brother walking calmly up to the door  again.
"Sis, there's nothing we can eat at all today... I still have to work for monthly rent and your education." Ren said softly, a hint of guilt surfacing in his eyes.

"Don't worry about it, I ate yesterday with my friend." You smiled, now reaching into your school bag.
"As a matter of fact, she let me pick a few apples from her backyard." You took 3 apples from your pink school bag, covered in small cat stickers.

Ren gasped with wide eyes, sweetly smiling at the bright red, juicy, shiny apples in your hands.
He took them one by one into his own, making a pocket with his shirt and stuffing them in.

"Thanks, Y/N." He waved as he ran back to the kitchen.

Ren was always a caring person. He hid his own negative emotions for the sake of you alone, giving up years of his life for your happiness.

As you finally finish your makeup, you look in the mirror.

You were blessed despite being poor.
Your hair was always silky and smooth - your face being clear and having a perfect body.

It was easy being pretty in public, girls wanting to be your friend and inviting you for dinner all the time, all you really needed to do was finish half your meal and ask to pack the rest of it.

Boys treating you well and buying you makeup and clothing, and more.

You smile as you pick your bag up and  push your annoying door out of the way with your hip, walking into the kitchen, where Ren is standing.

He gives you a quick, warm, familiar hug - leaving an extremely faint smell of cheap cologne lingering in your nose.

You smile as he fixes your posture, jokingly rolling his eyes.
"Have an amazing day, Y/N." He breaks eye contact, turning around.