28

"Are you okay Apollo?" Silvia asked, nudging me at breakfast

"Are you okay Apollo?" Silvia asked, nudging me at breakfast. "I'm fine." I said, leaning back in the wooden chair. "You don't look it." Trey replied. He was right, my shirt wasn't fully buttoned and my hair was a mess but I'd had a rough night. Lyan knew it, thankfully he came to my defense. "Lay off." He scowled. Silvia rolled her eyes at him, turning my chin towards her. "Are you sure, Apollo? If those unruly mages hurt you, I can always put them in their place." I jerked away from her. "Sometimes I wonder how you're an angel. Theirs honestly nothing angelic about you,"
Silvia shrugged, "there's nothing saying I have to be nice to mages." I fought the urge to respond to that, indulging myself in the joys of chocolate-chip waffles instead. Trey slid over the syrup and toppings, "You stole Nia's file didn't you?"

"They had no reason to have it." I surmised. Silvia shook her head and huffed, "neither do you."

Trey demurred, "it's his sister Silvia, not yours. You don't get to make these decisions for him."

"I do if they're the wrong ones." She argued.

"No Silvia, you don't. Shut up and eat." He ordered. Silvia rolled her eyes, pushing her plate away. "Remember you're an angel. At the end of the day, your loyalty is us and your halo, not a mage." I bit down on my tongue, excusing myself from the table. I returned to my dorm room and collapsed on the floor. Being an angel, as Silvia had put it, was precisely what had gotten me into this mess to begin with. It's exactly why I had no family left and was well on my way to losing the people I had surrounding me. I felt burdened by the halo, yet I didn't know who I was without it. I spent my whole life believing I was the halo and that without it I'd die. Now I was breathing, and I had no idea how to live without it. Helping Audrey had been a distraction from it, but my motives were for the halo. In the back of my mind, everything I did since I lost it was to get it back. Somehow, losing myself had been just as painful as losing my sister. The guilt was what weighed on me more than anything, I learned pretty quickly how to detach myself from people, but I still mourned her. I still regretted every day I walked without her. To lose myself had been a strange feeling, to know I never had myself at all was worse. There was nothing I could go off of to teach me I was real. My identity was built off what I wanted not what was expected of me. I checked my clock; first period was approaching it, and I would be skipping. I had never been the perfect student, that was one thing of myself I could be sure of. I wouldn't change that now.