Different

"I wish she was normal, like me."

"I don't love her less, but those way too light eyes and white hair just... freak me out."

"Yes, I know, and she isn't even Good!"

This happened to me, too, when I was a kid. I know how it feels. And now they're talking about my sister. But I can't defend her, and I couldn't care less about their opinion. This dialog was between Gretel and Rhian. Yes, the mother of my sister and my brother are judging a child who looks like me.

Ellie probably heard it, too, because she runs to her bedroom. She's already a smart child, even though she's four.

I kind of feel guilty, though it isn't my fault; I follow her, and I find her in front of her small table.

A few days ago, I've bought her a set of colored pencils. Now, she tries to color her hair with the same set.

"Ellie?" I try to get her attention. She turns to me and hides them behind her back.

"Yes, Rafal?" She pretends nothing happened. I smile.

"What were you trying to do?"

"Nothing..."

I sit on her chair. I'm heavy, so I don't put my full weight on it. I try to find my words, and, after a few moments, I finally speak.

"You know, you don't have to listen to them." I take her small hand in mine. "You're like me. We are better."

She finally smiles but seems confused.

"Why are we better?" She finally asks. I try to find my answer again.

"Hm... let's see... well, we're Evil. You've heard Rhian say you aren't Good. If you were, you wouldn't have been able to practice your blood magic with me every Sunday."

She frowns. She isn't happy with my answer, so I say more.

"And you look like me. If someone sees you, they'll know you're my sister." I try to sound serious, but I can't retain my giggle. "And you know everyone fears me."

It's true; they know what I can do to them if they bother me. But I'm not a monster. At least, I wasn't at that time. They all cross the street to be on the other side when I am around. They all ask me to spare them if they step on my foot accidentally. And I kind of like it.

She hugs me. I stand up and hug Ellie back. That's what we are. We are different.