12 || Neon

Friday turned into something of a blur. Scotty wasn't talking to her, something that didn't surprise her in the least. But she could tell he was excited about tonight - the way he darted around the house, pestering their mother about snacks and fishing camping gear out of the garage told her as much. As she sat in the living room, watching, she wondered idly when he'd thaw out and let her apologise. If the past was anything to go by - and it really wasn't much - she hoped it would be within the next few days.

By the time Bill got home from work at four pm, Scotty was practically vibrating with anticipation. He'd finally settled himself at the kitchen table, leg bouncing up and down at lightning speed. Ty glanced up from her book as their parents debriefed about their days, finally turning their attention to the kids.

"Scotty's going to a camp out tonight with his baseball team!" Mrs Smalls placed a cup of coffee down on the counter in front of their step father, her grin white and wide. "Isn't that fantastic?" Bill looked up at her, then over to Scotty, who was watching with hopeful eyes. The older man nodded.

"That's great kid." He lifted his mug, bringing it to his mouth. Scotty beamed.

"I'm out tonight too, but I won't be back late." Ty chimed in, bookmarking her page and swinging around in her armchair to face her family properly. Bill's gaze swung over to her, as if he'd forgotten she was there.

"Out?" He echoed. "Where on earth are you going?"

"Tigers club night." She supplied. "They do 'em a couple of times a year. Pizza and soft drink mostly, I think it's just a chance for the whole team to get together." Bill frowned.

"Team?"

"Ty trains with the junior league baseball team over by the school." Mrs Smalls told him. "It's wonderful how welcoming they've been." Scotty grumbled something under his breath, but either they didn't hear him, or they ignored it.

"As in the boys' little league team?" Bill was incredulous. "I don't know if that's such a great idea, Sarah." Mrs Smalls laughed, brushing a hand over his shoulder.

"Nonsense, dear. She's been there for a few weeks now. They're lovely people."

Bill still seemed apprehensive, but he just shook his head.

"Alright then. Be back before ten."

Ty felt her eyebrows shoot up.

"It doesn't even start till seven!" She exclaimed. "Most of the boys are staying over at Andrew's and they aren't even heading over there until eleven!"

"Don't talk back to me, young lady." Bill didn't quite bark, but he was firm. When her mother cleared her throat, some of the tension shifted out of his expression, and he sighed. "Ten thirty is as late as I'll go. It isn't proper for a lady to be roaming the streets at night."

Indignant, but unwilling to push her luck, Ty shut her mouth. Phillips only lived a few blocks away, it wasn't like she was going to be walking home alone. And they were letting Scotty, who was nearly three years younger, stay out all night without adult supervision. It was just ridiculous.

Sitting back in her seat, she folded her arms and resolved to fume quietly. Bill and her mother had returned to discussing plans for the weekend, with their step father pulling out his usual excuse of having extra work to do.