Ch.1 - No Time to Die

*Warning* This chapter includes descriptions of death, and body mutilation :)

I'm going off the manga a lot here. Chapter 403.

I wrote this while listening to Dark Cello music at half past 2 in the morning...

***

[Kazue POV - July 22nd]

The house was quiet other than the soft ticking of the antique clock that hung in the middle of the hallway. Light rustling of leaves brushing against my window from the tree outside and a pale light cascading through the room from the moon.

I took a deep breath as I layed in bed, unable to sleep from a restlessness that seemingly came out of nowhere. It wasn't the first time I had been home alone for the night. And it certainly wouldn't be the last. So why am I so worked up now?

My mother often ended up working long shifts into the night thanks to her job at the hospital and its unpredictable hours. You couldn't exactly walk out of an operation just because you didn't want to miss the next bus home, you know?

This often led to situations where I would be home alone for hours at a time and having to cater to myself and thankfully, my mother had deemed that I was a relatively independent child and had taught me all I really needed to know to look after myself while she was away.

Probably not the best option, but it beats getting some grumpy relative to come over and watch me as if I were the reason they couldn't bring themselves to say no for moralities sake.

I looked up at my wall clock again, thankfully more quiet than the one in the hall, and read the time. 23:58. I should have been asleep hours ago. Moms gonna chew me out if she ever found out... damn it.

I closed my eyes and listened to the soft ticking from the hallway. Perhaps if I wait long enough, this feeling will go away and I'll fall asleep on my own.

Yeah, fat chance of that happening, but one can only hope.

*Tick*

*Tick*

*Tick*

*Tick*

*Creak*

*Tick*

...Wait, Creak?

What do you mean Creak?

*Creak*

Startled, I opened my eyes and watched the door to my room. Whatever was making that sound wasn't close, but still too close for comfort. What's making the sound though?

I huffed and pushed the blanked off of me and sat up. There was no way I was gonna sleep at this rate and I'm not gonna calm down until that noise stops. No doubt it's something silly like an open window or a mouse.

Or Ghosts.... Yeah, no. Not dealing with that.

I shivered to myself before swinging my legs across my bed and standing up. Maybe if I get a glass of milk I'll feel better? And stop whatever is making that noise while I'm at it. No ghost bastard is gonna stop me from sleeping.

I padded my way towards my door, stopping to look at my books lined along the bookshelf. I could read myself to sleep, but I'd more than likely just keep reading until dawn. I read the titles of the lined up books; Inuyasha, Bakamon, Death Note, Basics of Chakra, Guide to Hand Signs, Tale of a Gutsy Ninja...

Huh? Rubbing my eyes with the back of my hands before looking back again...

Naruto.... All 72 Volumes of it. Not exactly a bedtime story for an 8yr old, at least not in the later chapters. Not that I haven't already read all of them either.