chapter 13

Sunlight streamed through the clear walls surrounding the garden, dancing on the new-leaf buds as they rose between artificial twoleg ground woven around the natural dirt. Ravendusk could see his sable fur shine as the light colored small dapples around his back, offering him a comfortable warmth.

Cloudpaw and Holo were running around, prancing and pouncing and laughing and he watched contently, briefly reminiscing on when he was younger. The others were deep in conversation which he would listen loosely to, drifting in and out but remaining quiet until his attention was sparked.

"I heard something last night." Fawnfreckle said, speaking for the first time after sitting in her own silence. It was unlike her to be so meek and quiet, but he had duly noted it. The point was changing them all.

They others fell into a collective silence, eyeing the tabby who just looked at her paws.

"Something about a sacrifice." She specified, whispered, eyes immediately looking up to stare at Cove. The calico and Cressida both froze uncomfortably, sharing a knowing look before the others began asking questions.

"Sacrifice? As in, an offering kind of thing or actual slaughter? Because I'm praying it's not the latter." Irisfrost nervously asked, eyes burning on his sister who remained quiet.

"What?" Ravendusk asked.

"It's a ceremony that happens every twelve moons." Cressida, to his shock, answered instead. "The truest form of showing allegiance, as Ares puts it. Three cats are chosen and forced to fight until one remains."

"Poison mentioned something about being rewarded if you do die. That it's an honor." Fawnfreckle added slowly. It took everything in Ravendusk not to laugh at the absurdity of it all.

"That's insane." He spoke, disdain coating his voice, not expecting the small laugh to get caught on his strained words but he failed to conceal it.

"They mentioned something about a former rebel who was being placed in solitude until it began." Fawnfreckle continued.

"Hyacinth." Cove breathed out.

"Yeah." Fawnfreckle sighed.

"Rebel?" Ravendusk queried, a small surge of curiosity pushing forward. It was soothing, in an odd way, to know others were rebelling. Not everyone was compliant.

"She was the head combatant before Foxglove took her spot. She started a secret uprising that nearly succeeded, but she got caught. Everyone involved was slaughtered on sight and she was left to suffer in isolation, waiting for the inevitable fate of her death in the sacrifice. Ares thought immediate death was too gentle of a punishment." Cove further explained.

"How'd she get caught?" Frostfall asked.

"This was moons ago when prey was scarce; everyone was starving. Some maid had found out and told Ares for food and higher privileges." Cove answered. "Can't blame them. It was a desperate time."

I can, Ravendusk thought bitterly.

"Amaryllis said that others apart of the rebellion were never caught. Maybe," Fawnfreckle paused cautiously, "maybe there's a chance we could do it too, just be more careful with who we trust."

"Hyacinth is one of the smartest cats I've ever known," Cove started, "if she failed to escape, you don't stand a chance."

"I find that insulting." Ravendusk retorted, resulting in an annoyed huff from his mate.

"Is there a way we could talk to her?" Irisfrost queried hopefully before Frostfall could say anything snarky.

"No chance. She's heavily guarded." Holo piped in from where she sat shoulder-to-shoulder with Cloudpaw. "Besides, I heard a rumor that she's completely lost it. Guess isolated starvation does that to someone."