New Old Girl

"Mia! It's so good to see you!" Ms. Patty shouts from across the way, over at the dance studio. I give her a tired wave as I walk over to pick up my little sister, Gia. Yeah, Mia and Gia. It sounds silly but I'm stuck with it. 

I greet Ms. Patty and make a slight conversation with her as Gia changes out of her dance clothes. "I thought you had gone away forever and it was horrible," Patty said as she smoked a cigarette. She's referring to the fact that I went to boarding school and everyone in Stars Hollow thought I left without saying goodbye. It was one big scandal, it's just too bad I wasn't there to see it. 

"No, it was just a trip abroad. You know my parents, they wanted to straighten me out." I say, eyeing the cigarette in Patty's mouth and playing with my fingernails. "Well, you look so tired," Patty says, looking me up and down with a tough-love smile plastered on her face. 

"Well that's my queue, it's time to go home. I'm just kidding Patty, but really I should get Gia home for dinner on time or my parents, well. You know." I laugh.

As Gia and I are walking through the town, I notice that Lukes is closed early, the blinds are drawn and the lights are off. I wonder what that's all about. Can't even get a cup of coffee to feed my healthy addiction. 

As you probably already know, there's little to no privacy in Stars Hollow and that's why you can find out everything you need to know by simply walking down the street. I walk past the Gilmore's house and I hear Lorelai and Rory debating about something inside.

"He just doesn't seem like the nicest kid," Lorelai said with a hinting tone in her voice.

"Well, you don't know him," Rory says in a calm and quiet manner, as usual.

I wonder if this is a bad time to knock on their door. It's pretty late in the night so I decide it's probably best to run into them at Lukes in the morning. Mom is probably going to wake me up at the ass crack of dawn to get to school on time. 

As I wake up to my mom pulling off all of my covers, I groan loudly. "Mom, get out!" I yell at her. "Not until you get your butt out of bed." She exclaims while opening my blinds so the light practically forces me to jump out of bed. 

I get dressed in one of the outfits my mom put out for me but quickly pull off the shirt and put one of my t-shirts on instead. I mean, it's not like she'll notice if I quickly slip out of the door and just put a hoodie over top of it.

I try to slip out of the door quietly but it creaks loudly as I walk out and my mom comes running into the room, demanding that she take a picture of me for my first day back at school. "No, just no. I'm not 5. It's not the first day of kindergarten. PLEASE DON'T." I beg her. But she takes out the camera at practically the speed of light and flashes a few pictures before I can sprint out the door.