Chapter Ten: Deliverance

Elona was overcome with mixed emotions as the senior healers approached her, informing her that she had the potential to become the next grand healer of the Spire if she passed her trial. They even mentioned that Morrina, the Grand Healer Enchanter herself, would personally train her. Though her healing abilities surpassed those of many of her peers, she found it hard to believe that she was the best candidate for the coveted position of Grand Healing Enchanter. She knew that if they found out about her use of forbidden blood magic to save Knight Harris, her chances would be slim to none. But in a twisted way, she convinced herself that her willingness to take risks was exactly what the Divinity needed. The thought of serving them with grace made her feel ill. As an elf, the concept of time was vastly different than for humans. Her lifespan would surpass most, living for perhaps two-hundred years or even more. The thought of being trapped in the Spire for the rest of her days, only twenty years old and knowing that she would spend the majority of her life in servitude was a cruel punishment for her race. The memories of her elf-hood were becoming increasingly distant, and she felt as trapped and oppressed as the other mages did.

The healers assigned Elona to work with the devout sisters, tasking her with cleaning one of the Spire's worship rooms. It was the first time she had been allowed to stay in the lower ward, closer to the main hall. Though she was unsure of the purpose behind this assignment, she suspected it was a political move to gain the trust of the devout in order to become a respected healer Enchanter. The devout sisters barely acknowledged her presence, and Elona could sense their unease and fear of her through their hushed whispers. Despite their lack of interaction, Elona was not offended. Instead, she found it amusing. The elven race possessed superior hearing, and she enjoyed overhearing their secret conversations. The worship room was simple, with a large statue of one of the holy women, servants of the Creator. Though Elona was not well-versed in the mythology of these figures, she couldn't help but be drawn to the statue's downcast expression. She had carved traces of sorrow into her eyes.

A door behind her opened, and she whipped back to see if it was one of the healing Enchanters coming to fetch her, but to her surprise, it was the Knight Harris she had saved. His eyes met hers, and she quickly looked away, focusing on the statue in front of her. The other devout sisters greeted Harris warmly as they lit the candles around the room. The sunlight streaming in through the high windows behind the statue cast a celestial glow on the holy woman, making it appear as if she had descended from the heavens. Elona couldn't bring herself to look at Harris, unsure of why she felt so nervous. He dismissed the devout sisters, leaving Elona alone with him in the now-lit worship room. He didn't approach her, instead walking to the corner of the room and observing the candles and incense. Elona remained frozen, pretending to be engrossed in the statue, as Harris continued to observe her from a distance.

"That is Amria." "One of the holy who serves the Creator"

Elona broke from her icy fear to meet Harris's stare, and he finally came closer, peering at the statue as she was.

"She was a woman of the water. Lady of the Lake."

"Why did they carve in such sorrow?" Elona whispered a reply.

Harris stressed his brow, looking up once again.

"It is interesting. "I never noticed before."

"If I may inquire, how is your recovery coming along?"Her gentle voice was deceiving, for she was still trembling in fear.

Harris smiled slightly, taking in the light that was hitting Elona's fair skin.

"I am doing better thanks to you... "I wanted to come directly to thank you for saving my life, but I was hesitant to do so."