chapter one: cassiopeia

Cassiopeia grinned when her phone chimed. The words "meet my friend, Chita Khnao" flashed across the screen, reflecting into Cassiopeia's light green eyes. The woman sitting next to her asked her why she was so happy. Cassiopeia told her that her mother had safely made it to Norcia, and that surely you've heard of the beauty there. The woman politely smiled and nodded, then glanced back at her phone, no doubt looking up where Norcia was.

None of what Cassiopeia had said was true, but it was a useful alibi for where and why she was traveling alone. In truth, Cassiopeia was traveling to Los Andava, Illinois, Republic of Embria for work, but no one had to know that.

Yes, she was only sixteen, but some things had to be done. Money is a necessity and since Cassiopeia had no one to get it for her, she had to do it herself.

Illinois wasn't Cassiopia's first choice, because after having a disaster in another populated city, she didn't want it to happen again. But Illinois was where the work was, so the capital it was.

Cassiopeia was not a tourist type, that was for sure. She liked to feel...important, not like those rats who didn't understand the first thing about other places. Anywhere she traveled, she liked to get to know before she got there. The terrain, the conditions, the places to avoid, the places to hide. That's what she was doing when she got the text.

"Chita Khnao" meant that Cassiopeia would have her assignment soon. As soon as she landed, got a taxi, and made it to her hotel, her work would begin.