Joey

"Honey, it's okay." My father, Norm, rubs my back comfortingly. My mother's body is being given back to Eywa. She died while out hunting. I don't know exactly what happened. No one wants to tell a four year old how their mother died. But I remember a lot of blood. I grip his shirt as I hug him tight. This is only his avatar form. He's still human, and I don't really know what's going to happen next. I can't stay with him in the lab. I'll have to sleep alone tonight.

I feel him look up at someone, but I choose to bury my head further into his neck. I don't really care who it is. I want to hold my dad close. I'm scared, and it feels safe here.

"Please Jake. I can't watch her." Norm must be talking to the Olo'eyktan.

"Of course we'll take her in."

I turn and wipe my tears the best I can. It is him. I love our clan leader. I've been friends with his son since we were born, two months apart. But I don't want to go with them. I want to stay right here. With my dad.

"Joey." Norm pries my arms from around his neck. "You're going to stay with Jake, okay?"

"No!" I cry, forcing my arms back around him. I want to go back to the safety of his arms.

"Joey, honey." Norm unwraps himself again. "I can't be with you all the time. You're still going to see me, just like with mom, but they're going to take care of you. Okay? I'm not going anywhere."

I sniffle and wipe my tears. I don't want to go. I want my life to go back to normal. I want to go home with my mom. But I know there's no use.

I nod, looking down at my feet. Neytiri appears next to us, crouching down as well. She has Neteyam in her arms. His friendly face makes me feel a bit better. She offers her hand, so I take it.

"You're going to be okay, Joey." She runs her finger over my knuckles comfortingly. She stands up and looks at Norm. "We'll take very good care of her.

"Thank you." He sounds so incredibly relieved. "Thank you. So much. And Joey."

I look up at him.

"I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

I nod and wipe my tears again.

"Come on," Neytiri starts pulling me away. "Let's go get your things."