Jake

Six years later

I watch as Neteyam and Joey sit side by side. They're looking at the stars, pointing up at shapes they see. They're sixteen now, but it doesn't feel like it. I still see Neteyam as my baby boy. He thinks he knows a lot about the world, but he doesn't. Joey, on the other hand, has matured quicker than I thought possible. She's incredibly smart, a trait she definitely got from her dad. She's a skilled warrior too. Neytiri trained her as a child, but now her talents rival my mate. I don't know where she gets it from. I know her mother was a strong fighter, but I didn't know her that well. I don't think she was as good as Joey.

I watch as Neteyam wraps his arm around her shoulders affectionately as they laugh. I wonder if they know they're in love. I could think of worse matches for my son. She's beautiful, smart, kind. They clearly care for each other. They watch each other's backs. She wouldn't make a bad tsahik at all. Plus, she keeps him in check.

They laugh about something else, and she shoves him playfully. He responds by shoving her back.

"Skxawng!"She laughs, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and leaning her head on him. She points at something else in the sky, distracting them from whatever they were joking about.

I didn't even notice Neytiri had approached.

"They make a good match." She seems to read my mind. "Neteyam is almost a man. He will have to choose a woman soon. Do you hthink he'll choose her?"

"Look at them." I nod my head back at them. They're leaning back, their arms crossed over each other, Joey's head on his shoulder. "He's already chosen her."