Nine:

Jaxon grabbed my hand, forcing me back on his horse with him as he had Caress to run in the direction of the mountain. I panicked, holding him tightly, my arms wrapping around his waist.

"Why are you going this way?" I cried, looking ahead as Caress ran her absolute hardest. The men in the distance pulled out swords. They screamed as smaller, darker shadows rushed in their direction. "The monsters are this way!"

"And so is the cave's entrance." Jaxon leaned forward, gently hitting his foot against Caress' side. "We can go inside and hide!"

I understood that could be a plan and with Jaxon's knowledge and background with this end of Tanidor, he could be right. That didn't fix the anxiety and fear that gripped my chest as we rode faster. His guards protected our sides, following after us as we headed in the opposite direction that they wanted us to take; we were told to run not to advance.

"Jaxon!" I cried, squeezing harder as we were just feet from the mountain. I saw the creatures—long, reptilian, dark, scaly skin colored like the night sky above our heads. One of them had a man under its claws; one of my father's guards. I recognized the armor, the sash around his waist.

My father knows where I am.

"Caress, faster!" Jaxon shouted at his horse. "Ha!"

The creature looked at us, white eyes glowing in the darkness. Its front leg slammed down against my father's guard; he screamed when claws punctured his armor. Fear gripped my chest.

No, we couldn't keep going this way. We'll die this way.

"Jaxon, please!" I cried.

"We're almost there!" Jaxon looked back at me as his guards readied their swords, running ahead of us. They sped their horses ready to attack and defend their prince; who was making a horrible decision.

"Hold on tight," Jaxon glanced back into my eyes as he clenched his jaw, "now!"

I did as I was told. I tightened my arms around him. Pressing my face into his back, I squeezed my eyes shut. If I couldn't see the monsters, I could manage. I could hold out until we reached the mountain's cave.

"Prince!" a guard to the left of us called. Opening my eyes slightly, I saw him as he pulled his horse back. A creature slipped out from within the trees. Its white eyes were focused on the man, up until it jumped.

I screamed as it leaped off the ground, catching the guard's face. He and his horse crashed onto the grass. Blood puddled beneath them. As bile crept up my throat, I squeezed my eyes shut.

I couldn't watch another person die. Could I not escape this? Was death all around me?

"Prince Jaxon!" a second guard shouted, his voice followed by the sound of a swinging sword. Metal crashed into flesh; the impact echoed in my ears.

"Go!" he continued. "Hurry! Now!"

I opened my eyes. Jaxon's guard had stopped; I saw him as we passed him on Caress. The man's sword, drenched in blood, hovered over a beheaded monster.

Before he could say another word, darkness came over us and the smell of mildew and rocks invaded my nose. I gasped. We were in the cave.

*

My hands trembled at my side. As Caress slowed to a calm trot, she neighed, as if telling Jaxon all was safe. He climbed off, his feet landing on the cave floor with a thunk. Reaching up, he grabbed me, helped me off the horse, and stood me beside him.

I shook like a leaf. Images of creatures attacking men at night stayed with me.

"We're safe now," Jaxon said.