Chapter 1: Introduction

Picture this: You're a rookie police officer, lost in the dark, zombie-infested halls of an old police station. Your only hope is a cryptic note left by a fellow officer that reads "Welcome to the City of the Dead." This is the opening scene of Resident Evil 2 Remake, a game that reimagines survival horror for a new generation of gamers.

In this chapter, we'll explore the significance of Resident Evil 2 Remake in the Resident Evil franchise and the survival horror genre. We'll start by going back to the roots of survival horror, tracing its origins from classic horror literature to early video games like Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil.

Then, we'll examine the original Resident Evil 2 game and its impact on the survival horror genre. Released in 1998, the game was a critical and commercial success, introducing iconic characters like Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield and setting the standard for survival horror gameplay.

Fast forward to 2019, and Resident Evil 2 Remake arrives, updating the classic game with modern graphics, sound, and gameplay mechanics. The game's development history was fraught with challenges, as the development team had to balance modernizing the game while staying true to its roots.

Despite the difficulties, Resident Evil 2 Remake was a critical and commercial success, garnering praise for its immersive survival horror elements, from the tense combat to the intricate puzzle-solving to the meticulously designed environments.

But what sets Resident Evil 2 Remake apart from other survival horror games? We'll explore this question by looking at the game's themes and storytelling, its use of fear and tension, and its ability to make the player feel vulnerable and helpless in the face of danger.

By the end of this chapter, you'll have a deep understanding of what makes Resident Evil 2 Remake a game that reimagines survival horror, setting the stage for a thrilling journey through the game's story, gameplay, and legacy.