prologue

HEART OF A LYON,PROLOGUE

HEART OF A LYON,
PROLOGUE

COOKIE LYON SAT on the uncomfortable hospital bed, looking up toward the ceiling and praying. She didn't always lean on God throughout the years, but now felt like the time to. She wanted to see her babies again, someday. Luscious was bringing them around less and less now, but she still had hope. She had hope that they would all be together again. She had given everything for her family. If she lost them...

She caught sight of herself in the metal tray next to her. Her golden brown skin was growing more pale by the minute. It was like she was losing all her warmth. All of the fire that made her Cookie Lyon was slowly being stomped out. Loretha Holloway was working her way back in. But Cookie had buried that girl long ago. She wanted it to stay that way. Still, she didn't think that her eyes, dark and lovely, had looked this empty since before she became Cookie Lyon. As far as she was concerned? Loretha and Cookie were two entirely different people. One of them had to die so that the other could thrive.

Loretha represented misery. She represented everything that Cookie ran away from. (And unknowingly ran right into, all at the same time.)

Lucious had put Cookie through so much. But still, she hoped. She hoped until that hope was all she had left.

Eventually, the doctor returned. He was tall, older than she was. He walked with a judgmental air about him. "Well...?", Cookie asked hesitantly. She didn't want to come to the doctor. The prison doctor. After how she had been treated thus far? She feared that the entire place was dirty. She feared that the people there didn't care about her. But she felt so... ill. Her back ached. Her knees ached. Her stomach ached. Everything ached. And she was so nauseous. Not to mention, there was this dull pain in her abdomen that was starting to get real annoying.

The doctor wasted no time. Truth be told, he hated working at the prison. He preferred to get away from the inmates as fast as possible. Call him whatever you wanted, but this wasn't what he wanted out of life. "Mrs. Lyon, were you aware that you were pregnant when you got arrested?"

Cookie held back a laugh. A tiny snort still escaped her though. (She always found that embarrassing.) What crack was this man on? There was no way. "No, I'm sorry. That's impossible. I would have known."

"Oh, it's very possible. You're about twenty weeks along now." He looked at her for a moment. "That's a little over four-and-a-half months. 4.6, if I'm doing my math correctly."

Cookie raised both her brows. Did this man think she was an idiot? She had done this before. "I have three sons, I know how long twenty weeks is. What I'm saying is that there's no way. I would be showing by now. I would know by now."

"Well, it is very possible. The baby may be malnourished, though that may be because of your appetite here, but you are indeed pregnant, Mrs. Lyon. If you don't mind, we'd like to perform an ultrasound and make sure that everything is alright."