Chapter 18

Abhyudaya got busy preparing the statistical data of his company as he was to leave for a business tour round the world.
After this trip the company was planning to list its shares on the stock exchanges of other countries. So, this tour was crucial.
Recently, the company had adopted the ESOP plan. The ESOP concept had been recently introduced in India.

When a company went public, all employees got a stock option, as a result of which they all became shareholders of the company. The employees of Abhyudaya's company were very happy because it was seen as a great incentive to continue to work in that company. 

Abhyudaya being one of the oldest employees had been offered a very large chunk of the stock. Because of that, Abhyudaya had become a millionaire. It was very rare for a lower-middle-class person to become so rich in such a short time. It was ironical that though he was not obsessed with money, it had come to him.

Gautami was unwell. She was suffering from the flu, and it had left her extremely weak. In spite of that she had to do Abhyudaya's packing. He was going to be away for a month so she had to make sure he had everything he would need. 

Abhyudaya and Gautami had now moved up into the neo-rich circle. She had two drivers, a cook and a maid to help with the household chores. 

Abhyudaya now owned a brand new Audi Q3. Gautami too had her own Mercedes Benz and driver.  Abhyudaya had wanted to shift to the posh area of Kormangla—as his status had changed. But it would take a long time to find a proper house with all the documents in order and Abhyudaya did not have so much time.
He asked Gautami to talk to a good real estate agent and check out what was available while he was away.

However, Gautami did not show much interest. 
Abhyudaya noticed that Gautami was very unwell and was quite upset. 'Gautami,you don't listen to me at all. All the time you sit in the balcony and just watch the road and trees. This all has affected you. If you fall ill now, how can I go? My Schedule will be upset and our company will suffer. Do you realize how important this is?' 
'Abhi, there is no connection between me watching the road and trees and you going abroad. Regardless of my health, you must go,' Gautami told him patiently. To which Abhyudaya replied in a gentle tone, 'Gautami, that was not the reason.If you are unwell and if I am out of town, it worries me. However, if you need anything, please contact Harish.'

Harish was Abhyudaya's junior colleague in the company. But they were close to each other as they had been classmates at IIT. Such things happened in the corporate world. Your classmates could become your subordinates. Capability is measured in terms of the success in one's career! 

Gautami herself was the prefect example. Once upon a time she was considered much brighter than Abhyudaya, but now she could not be compared with him in any aspect.

After Abhyudaya left, Gautami went to bed again. Silently she prayed, let Abhyudaya cancel his tour and come back. Let there be some problem with the aircraft so that Abhyudaya is unable to go, she thought.
That day she wanted someone to sit next to her and comfort her, someone who would come and stay with her. She missed her mother.

The next day, her temperature increased and Gautami found it difficult to breathe. She was supposed to visit Urmila that week, but knew she would not be able to go. She was sleeping all alone in the huge, beautifully done-up bedroom.
The cook was on leave and the maid went away in the evening after she finished her work. 

Gautami could not sleep. She kept thinking, if I die, no one would even know. What kind of a life is this. It was so empty, so lonely in spite of all the wealth that Abhyudaya had earned! 

The next morning, her maid Champa came as usual and rang the doorbell. But Nobody answered the door. Champa got scared and went to the neighbour, Mr. Jamshed Mehta, as he had an extra set of keys for the house.
Mrs Mehta came with the key and opened the door. She was shocked to see that Gautami had avery high fever and was in a stupor.

She called up Nanavati Hospital and Abhyudaya's company. Arrangements were made to admit her immediately.
Harish, his wife Prabha and Urmila rushed to the hospital.

Dr Patel, one of the senior-most doctors told them, 'Nothing to worry. She Needs proper medication and rest. Can anyone stay with the patient?' Urmila got worried and told Harish, 'Please call up Abhyudaya. If something goes wrong, then . . .'
But Harish knew Abhyudaya's nature very well. He wouldn't come unless there was an emergency. So he told the doctor, 'Mr Mohan is out of the country and it will be some time before he can come back. Please arrange for a private nurse, and never mind the expenses.' 
Urmila was shocked. In her middle-class circle she could not imagine any husband leaving his wife when she was so sick. She remembered her own case. When she had gone into labour and the pain was unbearable, her husband Pramod had stood by her side comforting her and encouraging her. After the delivery he had taken a month off to stay with her. The doctors in the hospital teased her by saying that Pramod had suffered more than Urmila! 

Urmila looked at her dear friend lying there, almost unconscious. For the first time, she pitied Gautami.
A handsome young husband who was extremely ambitious, travelling throughout the year, and in-laws who only spoke ill of her. Not even a child for company! 

Urmila's mother often envied Gautami's life but Urmila had never felt that way. Today more than ever she appreciated her luck and was grateful that her life was a million times better than Gautami. There was so much love, affection and kindness in her life unlike Gautami's. She wondered how Gautami had lived with such odds! 

After a couple of days, Gautami recovered her strength and was overjoyed to see her friend Urmila next to her. 

Urmila insisted that Gautami should come to her house and rest for a few days, but Gautami refused, knowing it would mean extra work for her friend. Also, Urmila's children were small.           

After a week in hospital, Gautami returned home. The first thing she had told Harish when she felt a little better in the hospital was not to inform  Abhyudaya about her illness.

She knew it would affect his state of mind and he would not beable to concentrate on his work.

Harish was surprised. If his wife Prabha were in the same situation, she would have called up at least ten times, scared him and created a scene. And he too would not have stayed away from her on office work in such a case. But he realized that Gautami was an exceptional woman.

She cared so much for her husband and respected his work that she never created any problem that would affect his career. He thought she was like the lady who carries a torch and removes all the obstacles on the road to success for her husband.

Abhyudaya had taken her for granted. He had a rare diamond in his hand but he was searching for a worthless glass of achievement.