Wake (edited)

Rachel

Memory..what a fickle thing. If it wasn't I might remember why I felt so...tired.

Tired. Unusually tired. I've done my fair share of sports and have pushed myself to my limits. My body hurt and buzzed at the same time. It's was a new level of exhaustion I've never experianced before and I have no idea how it happened but it was annoying. I don't want to be tired or in pain. My fingers somehow felt lighter as I tried to get whatever it was tickling my nose off.

Muffled voices were the first thing I picked up but my eyelids still felt too heavy. I suddenly felt some warmth returning to my body that I hadn't realized I lacked.

The muffled voiced returned but still not clear enough to catch anything. The darkness around me slowly lighted to a dark gray as light was threatening to bother my slumber from an apparently rough night.

So rough I'm not even sure how I ended up in this unknown situation.

I wanted to take a deep breath but it was uncomfortable just to breathe. If I did take a deep breath I feared I may find myself in a coughing fit and that will just cause pain.

"Rachel, can you hear me?" It was still a bit muffled on my right side but I could make the words out. The voice I didn't recognize but other sounds started pushing through as well. The tickle on my face grew and I started to get more annoyed. I pushed past the feeling of my lead weight limbs to find some of the weight disappeared with use. "You need to keep the cannula on," the voice said.

I don't need someone telling me what to do. I should to tell them to shut up and leave me alone for not just disrupting my sleep but-wait...cannula? There's  was no returning back to my sleep so I opened my eyes. At first everything was fuzzy until I blinked it away. A bright light came into my view making swat at whatever was trying to blind me. I swatted at whatever was it was producing the light until my surroundings became more clear and someone I don't know in a white coat came into view

"Rachel, hold on." That voice I recognized. My brother. I turned to my left seeing Leo. He's was in his scrubs and white coat and we're in the hospital. I looked behind him seeing as some nurses leaving the room. I looked around the rest of the room and saw everyone but my little brother. Even my best friend stood with my family all looking worried for me. The Hospital. Why am I in the hospital?.

But why?

"Rachel, I'm Dr. Larson. Let's get you in a more comfortable position." He adjusted my bed until I was sitting up but able to lean back. It hurt to do so but he was right, it's more comfortable. "Water?" He held up a pitcher. I tried to accept but found I needed it more so I nodded. He handed me a cup. "How are you feeling?" he asked. I took my sip of water then cleared my throught. What came out was rough.

"I've been better,"

"That's pretty good considering the circumstances," he took the stethoscope off his neck and began checking me. "How about you tell me the last thing you remember?"

"Um... I remember..." what do I remember. I looked around my eyes landing on Leo. His birthday. I remembered being excited but I don't remember seeing him with his cake or gifts. "Leo's birthday," saying it triggered more. "Sky and I were needed to go to the store so I remember leaving school but it's kind of...we'll blank after that,"

Everyone was quiet as the doctor finished his examination. "Rachel,you were in a car accident. A drunk driver hit the side you were on. You had a pretty bad head injury due to a faulty airbag. You've been in a coma for a while."

"What's a while?" I asked.

"About a month and a half," I tooked to Sky who had answered. My mom had her arms wrapped around her and was clear all of them were in some kind of shock. What had they seen? Wait-A month...over a month of my life gone. Dannie's birthdays. Halloween and Thanksgiving. My date with Ashton.