2.

There was a slow moving vehicule infront of me, thank god the highway has four lanes. I hate passing when it's only a one-way. I turned on my right turn signal indicating that I was switching lanes. My pale fingers tapped along to the beat of Tim McGraw, I reached for my coffee and took a sip. The warm liquid cascaded down my throat and I felt relaxed.

I didn't know where I was heading but I was thinking somewhere near the mountains. I've been saving up since the age of ten. It might sound shocking but you never know what's going to happen. My mother always told me to save every single penny I got, and so I did. I wanted to live in a small town, I wanted to start over. I was sick of living in the same place it was time to move forward. Big cities weren't my thing, they terrified me.

Life is pretty short so I want to savour every minute of it. I was nervous as hell. Where was I going to go? I need a job, I need a place to live. I felt stupid for just leaving but I had too. I wanted to leave my past behind, I couldn't stay in the same place for one more minute. I needed to break out of my shell and be adventerous.

The open road ahead made me smile, "this is it," I spoke to myself. I felt free. I sang along to my favourite country tunes and let myself loose. I hit a small town and had to slow down to 60km/h. I reached a red light 2km later. I pulled my hair into a ponytail, grabbed my shades since I was too short for the visor. The light turned green and I accelerated.

I got back on the highway and had enough gas to get to the next gas station. My phone buzzed in the console and I ignored it. I didn't tell many I was leaving. I had no close friends so what the hell mattered?

The sun was radiating plus the scenery looked gorgeous. I let out a sigh of content. I was headed to the west coast. I didn't know if I wanted to stay in Alberta or continue to British Colombia. It's about another seven hours for Alberta along with British Colombia it'd be around twenty two hours. I didn't mind though. I'd be in Alberta by the evening.

I pulled into a gas station further down the highway and parked. I checked my phone to see a text from my abusive ex-boyfriend. I ignored it while shrugging my shoulders. I put my truck back into gear, pulling into a stall to pump my gas. I went inside and quickly payed. I wanted to be quick because I have many hours of driving ahead of me.

I was already in Saskatchewan and I felt like sleeping. Driving through this province has the same scenery for miles and the odd town every 15km with weird buffalo statues with wagons. Don't get me wrong, Saskatchewan was pretty it was just long driving through the province. They had better country stations in which I enjoyed.

Seven hours later I was finally in Alberta. A smile had etched its way on my face. I was two hours from Edmonton. I'll probably pull into a gas station and sleep for three hours. I know it doesn't sound safe but while driving, all you see on the side of the highway are people sleeping. I'd feel safer pulling into a gas station and sleeping... While locking my doors of course. People always found it weird when they drove with me. I always made sure my doors were locked. I heard freaky stories of people being stopped at a light and being dragged out of their car, so I'm staying on the safe side.

There was a gas station coming clear into my view so I turned in. I parked my car, shut it off since it was warm enough outside. I set my alarm, locked the doors and leaned my seat back...And I was off to my peaceful slumber.

-

My alarm clock was blaring throughout my truck and I quickly shut it off. I wiped the sleep out of my eyes. I got out of my truck and stretched my tired limbs and made unhumanly noises as I did so. "Well that was alright..."

I walked inside the gas station, grabbed a coffee with something to munch on while driving. I quickly payed.

--

Twelve hours later I ended up in a small town by the name of Tsawassen, BC. It was night time so I couldn't really see how it looked. Tomorrow I'll check it out and see if I like it, I thought to myself. I was exhausted from all this driving. I started crusing around looking for a motel or deciding to sleep in my car if the prices were too high for my liking. I found one that goes by the name of, Beach Grove Motel. I walked in and saw that it was 79$ per night. I shrugged, walked up to the counter while paying for a room. I grabbed a few things from my truck, locked it and walked to my room.

I swung the creaky old door open while proceeding to find a light source. My hand hit a lamp and I almost knocked it over, "oops.." I muttered. I turned it on. The room smelt of stale cigarettes and some old food... I wondered if something or someone had died in here...I sure as hell hope not. I took the fruity smelling body spray from my purse and sprayed it around. Now it's good.

I locked the door, turned on some lights and stretched my tired limbs. I let out an exasperated sigh. I plopped down on the bed. I winced because my butt hurt from sitting in an uncomfortable seat for many hours. I pulled out my own pillow and blanket not trusting this one. I sound like a germaphobe but it's better to be safe in my opinion. My phone buzzed. I quickly reached for it in my purse proceeding to glance at the screen. It was my ex. I pinched the bridge of my nose. I've blocked his number and he still finds a way to reach me.

I can't wait till I can get a new phone. I just want to escape from my past. Sometimes it's impossible to do but you have to do it. My past changed me and I despise it. It made me hate who I actually was. I didn't like who I was. I didn't feel right, that's why I chose to leave. It needed to be done. I needed to start fresh. I'm now in British Colombia, I am so happy that no one knows where I am. Well I hope no one knows.

The text read, "babe, where are you??" Why does he care? I checked social media then I decided it was time to get ready for bed. I needed sleep, I felt dizzy. I plopped onto the soft mattress and my mind started wandering. I felt so stressed. I had to apply for jobs, find a place and many other things. I took a deep breath trying to calm down. I set an alarm and my eyes started to droop. Next thing I knew I was asleep.