9: I'm so sorry

"What?" Was all you could manage to say as you stared at him baffled.

He took a deep breath and wiped his palms against his pants; was he nervous?

"I'm so sorry for all the misunderstandings over the years." He said and you narrowed your eyes at him.

"Misunderstandings? I don't think I misunderstood the fact you made me the laughing stock of the entire school even two whole years after you graduated. I don't think I misunderstood you never showing up to a date you asked me on. I sure as shit didn't misunderstand the way Hina looked at me while she walked by me every day holding your hand as if to remind me of my place. Not to mention all the years after once you and Kento worked together; you made sure my life was a living hell. Please enlighten me on where I misunderstood anything." You said trying to hold on to the anger you knew he deserved to see.

"You don't think I've beat myself up over that this entire time? I wanted to reach out to you the next day and explain what really happened. For years I wanted to reach out to you and apologize. But after all that time it got to the point that, as fucked up as it was, I still wanted to be able to talk to you even if you hated me then loose you all together." He said as he averted his eyes to his lap.

"You let me sit there that night and every night for ten fucking years Satoru wondering what I could've done to get ridiculed just for having a harmless crush on you." You hissed trying to fight the urge to cry in the middle of the packed restaurant.

Before Satoru could respond the waitress returned with a smile on her face and your meals in hand. You managed to smile up at her and thank her as she placed your plates on the table. Satoru kept his eyes in his lap and the waitress picked up on the tension between you because she walked away quickly after.

"I remember talking with my friends one minute and the next Hina and her friends were joining us. We had just broken up a week before because I found out she went behind my back at a party with a childhood friend. It was hard to find that out and I much as I tried it ruined our friendship in the end. I eventually cut ties with him and I tried to do the same with her. But we've known each other our whole lives at that point so when she'd come around it was hard to tell her no." Satoru said almost defeated.

"No wonder she's so entitled." You muttered and he nodded his head.

"I was talking with my friend and suddenly she told me she needed to tell me something. She told me that some first year had been staring at me and when I looked up to find it was you I was relieved."

Relieved? What could be reliving about a girl you barely knew getting caught staring at you across a courtyard. The voice nagged but you silenced it because you deserved this exploration after a decade.

"Before she could say anything else my friend heard what was going on and hyped me up to go talk to you. When I got up I heard Hina starting to bicker with my friend but I was out of ear shot to hear it. I watched you look away and say something to Kento the closer I got; I remember thinking about how cute you looked," he said and he finally had the confidence to look at you. "To my surprise I overheard you mention something about a rumor and when Kento confirmed it was about me and Hina I was pleased to tell you it was true."

"So if you actually wanted to hang out why didn't you show up? Do you know how misleading that is." You say as you look down at your food suddenly loosing you appetite.

"My friend told me later on the Hina couldn't believe I'd flirt with a girl right in front of her and she'd be waiting to talk to me after school. There was nothing for me to discuss with her so I stayed after with a teacher who's class I was struggling in trying to figure out a way to get my grade up. I was never the best at geography so I could kill more than enough time talking to the teacher for Hina to give up and leave." He says as his phone buzzes on the table. He glances at it only to flip it over so it was facing down.