Chapter VI The Briefing

The canvas flaps of the tent billowed gently in the morning breeze, allowing the scent of pine and damp earth to mingle with the tension that hung thick among those gathered within. Aedín stood rigid at the head of the makeshift command center, his fingers a hair's breadth from the worn edges of the scrolls before him, eyes sharp as they moved across the faithful representations of Mèirleach Castle's formidable halls and secret passageways. The figurines, meticulously carved and strategically placed, seemed to stand guard over the castle's miniature counterpart.

Around him, his team was a tableau of readiness; Galaeth's posture was poised, her dancers mirroring her quiet strength, while the two technicians were hunched like coiled springs, their minds no doubt running through the litany of tasks ahead. The archers, a silent chorus of shadows, lent the space a grave air, their hands never straying too far from the bows slung across their backs.

"Focus," Aedín urged, his voice a low thrum that cut through the whispers of strategy and speculation. "A few hours from now, Galaeth and 'her troupe' of seven begin the infiltration." His gaze locked onto Galaeth, acknowledging the weight of the mission on her shoulders. "They will travel as a caravan and arrive at the Castle."

He allowed his eyes to drift across the faces of each person present, ensuring his words imprinted on them with the gravity they deserved. "The wagon will likely be searched thoroughly, so take special care to lead attention away from the chests."

There was a collective leaning in, a sharpening of focus, as if his pause drew the very air tighter around them. "If they happen to inspect the chests, they will find the technician's equipment and the dancer's gear; however, underneath all of that is a false lining with a secret compartment where Lieutenant Mazek and I will hide." His voice held a wry edge, a commander's attempt at levity before the plunge into darkness. He inhaled deeply, the rise of his chest visible under the simple tunic he wore. "Please don't drop us."

A ripple of chuckles fluttered through the tent, but it was short-lived, extinguished by the icy glare of Vizeren who, until then, had been an unmoving silhouette against the map of the woods. His arms remained crossed, his expression unreadable yet undeniably commanding — a silent sentinel whose presence reminded them all of the stakes at play.

In the shared glance between Aedín and Galaeth, there was a flicker of something beyond the resolve of seasoned warriors—perhaps the acknowledgment of the razor-edge balance between success and calamity they were about to dance upon.

Aedín's fingers traced the invisible threads of their plan on the surface of the map, his gaze sharp and calculating. "Our contact has arranged for a private changing room where we should be able to come out and hide until the time of the performance," he said, his voice steady with authority but not without the undercurrent of tension that the impending action brought.

"During this time Galaeth and her dancers will scout the castle grounds pretending to inspect the space where the show is taking place," Aedín continued, meeting her gaze with an unspoken pledge of trust.

Galaeth stood motionless, her posture that of an experienced performer accustomed to the scrutiny of an audience, yet her eyes—those vivid, mutable pools of green with flecks of burgeoning purple—betrayed the gravity of the mission they were about to undertake. She listened intently as Aedín outlined the plan, her mind racing. This was her chance to infiltrate the castle and find Elowen, her friend and sister, who had been captured by the enemy weeks ago. Though Aedín spoke of caution, Galaeth could not help the swell of hope in her chest. She had to find Sera, no matter the cost.

As Aedín's fingers glided over the map, Galaeth studied the twisting corridors and secret passages. She mentally traced the route to the dungeons where she suspected Sera was being held. Getting there undetected would not be easy, but she was prepared to take the risk.

"Simultaneously," Aedín added, nodding to the two technicians who listened intently, tools of their clandestine trade hidden beneath cloaks, "you'll be installing explosive charges in key places with the guise of setting up for the fireworks displays." His hand mimicked the lighting of a fuse, a slow burn that would crescendo into chaos. "They will use a slow-burning wick that is timed to explode after the show—to cover our escape."

The air in the tent felt charged, each breath shared among them heavy with the weight of their collective fate. Aedín watched as they absorbed the details, faces set in masks of focus and fortitude. "After scouting, report back and await the start of the show," he directed firmly.

"Remember," Aedín's voice lowered, almost conspiratorial, as he addressed Galaeth directly, "you will take the lead during the performance. This will allow you to keep an eye on their leader, Anwir." In a moment of vulnerability, their professional veneer cracked, revealing the risks she faced, the responsibility resting on her slender shoulders. Her nod was subtle, yet it bore the weight of her resolve. "Should things go awry, you will be both in the best position to support, distract or act. But this also means you will be the most exposed..." The words hung between them, an unvoiced plea—be careful.

"During the show," Aedín resumed, breaking the brief connection as strategy reclaimed the forefront, "Viz and I will advance through the rafters, over the main hall, and into the back room, where Anwir keeps his office." He sketched their path through the air, his finger hovering above the map like a hawk circling its prey. "We should be able to gather all the evidence we need to make an official incursion into his compound and finally end his operation."

He then indicated two spots on the map—a silent signal to the archers who observed from the shadows. Their bows were unstrung now, but soon they would sing with deadly intent. "We will retire to the dressing room where we will meet the dancers and the technicians after the show," he said, the final movements of their intricate dance laid bare. "Archers should be hiding in position near the castle walls here and here. They will begin the attack when the explosions go off and cover our escape."

"Any questions?" Aedín's query sliced through the dense anticipation, offering one last anchor in the sea of uncertainties that awaited them beyond the canvas walls of the tent. Silence answered him, not born of doubt, but of a shared readiness—a commitment etched into the very lines of their beings. The plot was set, the players ready; it was time for the curtain to rise.