Embarrassing moment of my life

I have always been an indoor person, not by choice but by ritual. Being a certain way for eighteen years tends to stick, you know? Who knew my entry to the university would change everything? I vividly remember that cold night. I lived with my single mom who works as a secretary at Father&Son. The sound of the slap still resonates in my ears.

        For a first year university student, my mom used to drop me off and pick me up everyday. I felt like I was still in high school and I hated it. On one occasion, Chris, my mate from high school and course mate invited me over for a dinner with some of the members of the Student Representative Council. I readily declined. A week after, as I entered my lecture room, Anna, the course representative invited me to dinner. Before I could speak up, Chris interrupted and said I wasn't going to show up. With that said, he entered the room. I was angry that he spoke in my stead and indirectly made the decision; I wanted to go.

     Anna nodded her head and turned to leave. I stopped her and told her I'd be there. I asked for the time and place to assure her that I would be there. She turned to ask me, "Will you be okay?" I was confused but I smiled. After the first lecture, I called my mom and told her there was a group study and I would not close at the usual time. She wondered what had caused the sudden change in schedule but she acquiesced finally. She told me she would pick me up but I insisted I would get home by myself. I ended the call and had my final class for the day. Anna hooked her arm with mine and we made our way to Blue sky bar. It was a very famous bar. There was music and I loved it. We took our seats by the round table where some students were already seated. Not long after, Chris came in. He was shocked to see me. I flashed him a smile and he sat opposite me. Anna had poured herself a drink and she was enjoying it. I ordered coke. I could feel Chris watching me but I was too shy to look at him.

       My phone rang. Not once or twice. It was my mom! I decided to answer it to avoid any suspicions. I walked out due to the loud music. It was cold. Outside, Anna was smoking a cigarette. She smiled at me. The smell made me nauseous. I stepped further away to answer the call. "Where are you?", her voice thundered. I told her I was still at school and she hung up. I turned to Anna. I was forcefully pulled back. I turned to see my mom. Without a word she dragged me to her car. Smack! smack! She had slapped me twice. I cried, I wept. I lifted my head to see the group outside. Everyone looked on as my mom dragged me into the car. How was I going to show my face anywhere?

    I had not only been embarrassed, I was hurt too. Fear enveloped me as I cried in the car which was soon replaced with hope. A video of my mum dragging me away was uploaded on the student platform. A scar on my left cheek served as a reminder.