18. Greetings to 1994

In the span of 6 days, I had been to the cinema three times. Alone, but I honestly liked going there by myself. It was a good distraction. Being all by myself these past days made me realise how much time I spend with my friends. I can't even go two days without feeling lonely.

To try and feel less alone, I have spent my time writing music, painting or just strolling around London. I have been working too. I took all the shifts now around Christmas as I knew everyone else had places to be. The store had actually been quite busy. Music lovers with newly gifted money using it to buy new records.

Yesterday, I went to The Garden to see Simon. He had just gotten back from Dublin where he spent the holidays with his family. He had spent the time mostly running after his little cousins who had been high on sugar from all of the sweets they got a hold of. But he said he liked it. Simon longed for a child. He would make a great dad. Caring and loving.

I was leaning out my kitchen window with a cigarette between my lips as the telephone sounded out making me jump. I threw the cigarette out the window and ran over to the other side of the room where the phone hung on the wall.
"Hello?" I said when I picked up.
"Hey Lara, how's it going?",the voice of Damon coming from the other side. It sounded even darker over the phone. A silly smile started to tug on my lips when I realised it was him.
"I'm good thanks. How are you, Dames?", I bet he could hear my smile. The excitement in my voice giving it all away. I missed him.
"It's just great", Damon replied. "What you doing tomorrow?" He added with a hopeful tone. It was New Year's Eve tomorrow. I didn't actually have any plans. I knew Erin was still with her mother. And me and Mary hadn't talked about it. She would be home by nine tonight so she would probably give me a call, but no plans yet.
"Uhm, I don't know. Haven't got any plans yet", I answered. It seemed like he had something to tell me.
"My friend Jamie is having some sort of party, you wanna come? He finally asked. My heart made a backflip at his request. Damon and I had seen each other countless of times but I still got thrilled every time he asked to see me.
"Bring a friend or two if you want", he added after a second of silence.
"I'd like that".

He gave me the address to his friend and said his goodbyes. Convincing Mary to come with me would be easy. Always up for a party that one. Only if she hadn't found anything else. What would I say then? No, let's ditch your friends so I can hang out with this boy I think like me at his random friend's house. I don't think so. It would sound too pathetic, even for me.

Many hours later Mary was standing beside me in my bedroom, scanning my closet with her eyes to find me something suitable. The options of fancy clothing were not many. It just seemed like a waste to spend so much money on things you'll rarely were.

"What about this?" Mary suggested, holding up a purple mini dress. And I mean mini dress.
"No way! If I wear that I could just as well show up naked!" I declined. I had that dress science I was about 14 to my first school dance. My body has changed a lot since then. Thank God.

Mary rolled her eyes at my response and hung the dress back where she found it.
"You should wear something sexy, it's new years", she put extra emphasis on new years. Apparently, sexy in Mary's opinion meant showing off everything. I wasn't opposed to showing a bit of cleavage but come on, in that dress I would show my whole arse to the world.

After some more of flicking through my closet, Mary showed me yet another dress. This one was bought later on in life and would fit my now adult body. I took it from the hanger and held it in front of myself. It was a black, long sleeved mini dress with a low back. I think it might look quite good.
"This one's nice", I nodded with a thoughtful look. I removed the shirt and shorts I was wearing and dragged the dress over myself.
"Can't wear a bra though", Mary commented. I reached behind me in order to unclasp my bra and threw it on the floor.