11: Painted Skin

"Don't scratch it."

Sakura's words were plain and clear, meant to protect her rather than blindly reprimand her, but Kana still brought her hand to her neck anyway. "It hurts," she whispered in her demure, four-year-old voice. She gingerly ran her fingers around the skin of her neck, feeling no roughness nor scar, but knowing well that what was imprinted there was more painful than any injury she could sustain.

"I'll get some painkillers soon," Sakura assured her with a pat on the head. "But first, the elders need to make sure that you won't be wreaking havoc once we get out of this place."

The said place was actually a grand mansion spanning perhaps a hectare of land, with traditional architecture that made it seemingly stuck in the past. The courtyard reminded her of the playground area in kindergartens, but embellished with bonzai trees and some patterns brushed along the sands. But the room she had been from an hour ago was nothing similar to the beautiful façade the building possessed, instead being a dark hellhole where the mark on her neck had been created. Where any noise and screams would never be heard by the outside world.

There had been several people in the room, each chanting things Kana could not understand. But she remembered Naobito and the person Sakura had called Gojo-san in the meeting before. At one point, there had been red flashes and some commotion from the attendees of the discrete ritual, but the job was ultimately done.

"Are you that curious in the mark?" Sakura huffed when Kana did not stop touching her neck. "Alright, follow me then."

Sakura pulled Kana to a pond nearby, where the water was so clear Kana could see the pupils in her eyes—and the mark as well. The design reminded her of those white paper talismans hung at temple gates, meant to purify evil spirits in places. Kana was sure, from Sakura's explanation before the ritual, that the mark would never erase the Corruption inside her. The only thing that it would do was to ensure that she wouldn't go on a rampage should she succumb to the Corruption and transform into a Curse.

"The redness should disappear in a week or two," Sakura remarked, stretching herself. "If you ask me, it's quite well-done. Not many seals look as stylish as this."

"I don't like it," Kana said. "Those people waiting outside the chamber glared at me... Like I'm an animal... After this thing is tattooed on me." She remembered, vividly, how the residents of the mansion stared and whispered when she came out. She tasted bitter when they did.

Sakura suddenly stiffened behind her. Someone approached, whom she recognised as the man named Gojo-san. "Gojo-san," Sakura greeted. "What brings you here?"

"I am simply observing the results of our toil," he explained. Kana stood up and straightened her back, with her head tilted up to properly look at the man. There were dark circles around his eyes and his cheeks were hollow, but instead of appearing weak he displayed a sense of intimidation which the other elders had not possessed. "Come closer," he ordered.

Kana gulped and stepped forward. Gojo crouched and touched the mark. Something sparked within him which Kana couldn't explain. "Good. The seal is holding up, far strongly than expected," he commented.

"I've never seen this seal before," Sakura said. Gojo closed his eyes and returned back to his feet.

"We specially designed the seal for this purpose," he explained. "Involving the cooperation of all the Great Families, a rare occurrence in itself. It took us some convincing, but they eventually agreed to help. If everything goes smoothly, the seal should do its job when the time comes, as long as her Cursed Energy does not grow too strongly. It is very improbable, because her level of Cursed Energy would have to match those with Six Eyes or greater."