one

I haven't seen my sister Alina in nine years. Like most poor unfortunate souls in Ravka I was conscripted into the First Army at sixteen. It took all of one day for them to realise that I was Grisha. Something that should have been discovered when I was a child. But it's not that hard to hide one's powers when one wants to. I had made the choice to stay hidden. To stay with my sister as long as I could.

After being discovered I was brought to the Little Palace. The place where all Grisha are trained for the Second Army. I can't say I call the place home, but it was a better option than dying in the First Army.

I took to using my powers after months of trying. It's not that I couldn't use my powers, it was that I couldn't use them to their full potential. It took so long I thought they would kick me out before I got the hang of it. Then again Ravka would never let someone with my powers go. I'm one of only two of my kind. A shadow summoner. The only other person alive with the same abilities as me is General Kirigan also known as the Darkling. I've yet to be rewarded for my military prowess with a nickname like his.

Kirigan is the one who taught me to use my powers. To embrace them instead of fearing them. He is the only person who can understand what it is like to have abilities even the most powerful Grisha are afraid of. Since meeting him I have always stuck close to his side.

We've just arrived at the First Army camp in Kribirsk right on the perimeter of the Shadow Fold. On our maps, the Shadow Fold is a black stain. A scar that severs Ravka in two.

It was created hundreds of years ago as an act of vengeance by the Black Heretic. A man who could summon shadow. He was among those rare souls, the Grisha, who could manipulate the elements of this world.

The Fold locked East Ravka away from the seaports of the west. The east withered and became vulnerable to attack from enemy nations in the north and south.

Old myths foretell of a Grisha never before seen. One who could destroy the Fold, reunite Ravka and redeem our people. A summoner of pure light. And so, we wait for the one who will deliver us from the dark place we made in the world. We wait for the Sum Summoner.

I follow Kirigan down from his carriage. Before I can step foot in his tent however, I stop dead in my tracks. Though it's been almost a decade there is no mistaking the girl I see standing in front of a tent surrounded by others. Alina.

"Are you alright?" Kirigan asks.

"Yes." I force myself to nod my head. "Yes."

I follow Kirigan into the tent. Before I can say anything Kirigan dismisses everyone from the tent.

"You look as if you've seen a ghost, Rosalie," Kirigan states.

"Not a ghost," I tell him. "My sister. She's here. With the First Army." Kirigan nods. "I know you're going to tell me to stay away."

"I am," Kirigan says. "But I know you will not listen."

"It's been nine years," I tell him. "I just want to see her."

"And you think now is the best time for that?" Kirigan asks.

"Why not now?" I counter.

"Her unit will move on. You will move on," Kirigan tells me. "There's no sense in putting her in danger."

I take a deep breath. "I'm going to see her. I just want to see her. I won't talk to her. No one will figure out she is my sister."

Kirigan doesn't try to argue with me anymore. I leave the tent in search of Alina. I spot her going into the Cartography tent for a moment before coming out. She hangs around the side of the tent. A Lieutenant rushes into the tent looking rather annoyed. I sneak up closer and can hear him speaking to a woman.

"Petya, how did this happen?" the man questions.

"We don't know," Petya tells him. "We were extra careful to secure all the lanterns."

"And what was damaged?"

"Nothing major," Petya insists. "Just some records of the western coastline, Os Kervo and the river system that runs through it. It's really not..."

"Critical? Geographical data of the territory on the other side of the damn Fold? Those records?"

"Yes, but I'm sure that the First Army on the other side has an..." Petya starts.

"You think I trust anyone else's intel? Now someone will have to cross the Fold, to redraw these maps."

Alina steps up to the tent. "I'll go. Put me on the skiff, I'll go."

"Yes. You will. Your whole unit will."

I know I told Kirigan I wouldn't talk to Alina, but I have to.

"Alina!"

She stops walking and turns to face me. She looks as if she's seen a ghost.

"Rose?"

I nod my head slightly. I try to hold back tears I wasn't anticipating.

"What did you do, Alina?"

"Nothing," Alina insists.

"You burned those maps," I state. "Why would you do that? Why do you want to go into the Fold?"

"Mal," Alina tells me.

Malyen Oretsev. He grew up in the duke's orphanage with us. The two of them had been inseparable growing up. I can only assume he wound up in the army like everyone else from the orphanage.

"Now you've doomed both of you," I tell her. "I did not think you would grow up to be so stupid."

"Stupid?" Alina questions.

"It's dangerous in the Fold," I tell her.

"I know that," Alina assures.

"There's no use fighting," I tell her. "It's been decided." Alina nods. "At least I got to see you one more time."

I rush back to Kirigan's tent. When he sees me rush in, he dismisses the few Grisha that are with him.

"I have to go into the Fold," I state.

Kirigan looks at me curiously. "Into the Fold?"

"My sister's unit is making the crossing today," I inform him. "In ten minutes. I need to go with her."

"The volcra will come for you," Kirigan warns.

"I can handle them," I insist. "You taught me to take care of myself."

"No," Kirigan states.

"But..." I start.

"It is not up for debate," Kirigan insists.

"My sister's life is on the line," I argue. "I cannot sit back."

"You can and you will," Kirigan insists. "Your safety is my concern. I will not let you go into the Fold no matter how hard you beg or whine or stomp your feet."

I realise now that I must sound like a whining child. I know that's not how to get Kirigan to agree to anything.

"Please," I say.

"I will not lose you, Rosalie," Kirigan states.

I watch as the skiff starts towards the Fold.

"I should have been on that boat," I state.

"I need you here," Kirigan tells me. "Safe. With me."