Minimal Access Cancer Surgery

Cancer is considered as one of the leading causes of mortality across the globe. Every year the cases of cancer and deaths due to cancer is increasing substantially, and India is not far behind.

However, with improvement in medical science and updated technology, there's a paradigm shift in the treatment of cancer. Today, Minimal Access Cancer surgery or Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) has become one of the best treatments in healing cancer. Research shows that compared to traditional open surgery procedures, this process of minimal access is has a better success rates.

Minimal access surgery uses smaller incisions and takes the help of laparoscopic cameras and updated instruments to operate cancer. This method has several benefits over traditional one such as:

1.Lesser blood loss

2.No bad scar

3.Lesser pain and discomfort

4.Less wound complications

5.Shorter stay in hospital

6.Quick recovery time

7.Higher curing rates

Minimally Invasive Surgery can be used to treat various cancers, especially oesophageal cancer, colorectal cancer, cervical cancer etc.

Oesophageal cancers

It can be treated using the procedure of Minimally Invasive Surgery, without opening up the chest. Hence, diseases like pneumonia, atelectasis or any lung related complications can be taken care of.

Colorectal Cancer

Colorectal cancer cases have increased in great numbers in India over the recent past. It is seen that mostly young people around the age of 40-45 years are getting affected more with this cancer. However, the good point is that the outcomes of rectal cancer is improving, though slowly with the introduction of modern method of treatment. People in India diagnosed with rectal cancer face several challenges.

Firstly, patients are generally diagnosed rectal cancer in a later stage, without screening at the earlier stage. Secondly, most patients get normal treatment at the later stages, while some may not continue proper treatment due to huge costs involved, others may suffer because of longer stay accommodation or cultural stoma. These worsen the outcomes, further and therefore these pose greater challenges.

Timely diagnosis: making a timely detection and diagnosis is the first step in providing a right treatment approach for the management of rectal cancer.

Surgical procedures: Though most surgeons used to opt for an open approach in treating cancer, previously; with the adoption of modern technology, surgeons nowadays, are using minimal access cancer surgery. With smaller incisions, lesser hospital stay, less pain, minimum blood loss, faster recovery time and higher success rates made this minimally invasive surgery a preferable surgery process both for patients and surgeons. MIS techniques offer a better surgical management of stage I, stage II, and stage III rectal cancer. The goal is to treat cancer in a better way so that patients resume their normal lives as fast as possible.

Rectal cancer

This should be treated with a multidisciplinary approach, bringing together the best and safest surgical techniques along with the best oncologic therapies, keeping an overall view on the treatment of this type of cancer.

Cervical cancer

It is one of the common cancers prevalent to women, mostly. For the past two decades, it has been seen that minimally invasive surgery has turned out to be a successful procedure to manage cervical cancer, bringing several advantages like lower operative morbidity, lesser pain along with less blood loss and shorter hospital stay compared to open surgery.

Conclusion

Minimal Access Cancer Surgery approach has proven benefits as compared to open surgery such as small incisions decrease pain and there is lesser blood flow, shortens the length of stay in the hospital, hastens full recovery. These approaches have been studied extensively for many years in the setting of rectal cancer, oesophageal cancer along with cervical cancer and are known to be safe and effective methods of treating these cancers.

Disclaimer

Though all attempts are made to provide correct information on the subject, inadvertent & typographical errors arising out of manual intervention cannot be ruled out. It is requested to bring any such discrepancies to the notice of the blogger for correction