chapter 14 | new person, same old places

«And do you still think love is a laserquest? Or do you take it all more seriously?»

---

Her lips curved into a smile as soon as she felt the touch of his fingers brushing some strands of hair out of her face. She didn't know how realistically everything worked, but her heart felt like swelling from all of it. Like surely there was some chemical reaction going on there or something.

"I have to stop waking up on this bed." Her voice was muffled as her cheek pressed against the pillow. Sloane remained with her eyes closed. She felt very well-rested.

Max chuckled, and she liked the sound of it. "Didn't you say something like that's only ever going to happen again in your dreams? Yet, here you are, already claiming your own side of the bed and everything." He stroked her hair for a couple of seconds.

"You're very comfortable to sleep with. Like a warm pillow." She didn't have proof but something told her she'd cuddled him during those nights in his bed. Both drunk and now sober, or at least in the last two. She was pretty sure they didn't do a lot of cuddling the first time they shared a bed. "A cosy plushie, that's a better way to describe it."

"I'm not opposed to waking up with you every day so be my guest whenever you want." Sloane reached with one of her hands to touch him. It landed somewhere in his chest. She just needed contact. "You can open your eyes. This time I'm wearing clothes, I promise."

Popping one eye open, the one that wasn't deep in the pillow, she looked at him. He was smiling. "Sadly you're wearing them." She teased with a smile. Max laughed again, she could feel the vibrations of his chest under her palm. He glanced at her, and Sloane felt her cheeks getting warmer under the attentive gaze. "Don't stare at me that way. I know mornings aren't my best look."

"Shush." Max turned on his side. "Your freckles," With his finger, he traced the shape of her nose. "You're so fucking pretty, Sloane."

She moved to face him properly and narrowed her eyes. "You already slept with me, no need to pull those moves."

His palm covered her face and she giggled. "See? I'm trying to be romantic here."

Sloane propped herself with one elbow and raised her eyebrows. "You know what my friends call you? Flower guy." Max huffed a laugh. Sloane smiled and inched closer to him, her hand reaching to play with his hair.

"It seems like the flowers worked." He grabbed her hand and played with her fingers. "Another win for me." God, she did like the whole smugness he had going on.

Her gaze fixed on his. "Do you want your prize?"

"Absolutely."

She smiled, sweetly. "Make me breakfast first and we'll see." Pulling her hand away, she rolled to the other side of the bed and he complained with a groan. Sloane chuckled and sat on the edge of the bed, feeling the other side and sheets shifting.

The first thing that caught her attention when she grabbed the phone was the number of social media notifications there. It was too early to deal with that. She eyed Max when he walked past her on his way to the bathroom, stopping in front of the door to look at her. Pointing a finger, he raised an eyebrow.

"I'll come back for my prize later." She stuck her tongue out and with another smile, he disappeared into the bathroom.

Her attention drifted back to the phone. There was no sign of Vivianne, which was weird, but there were messages from Aurora and the group chat she shared with Salma and Irina. In her little romance moment, she'd forgotten about them and the fact she'd left the three girls at her flat. Sloane opened Aurora's chat first, just one text from earlier that day.