PROLOGUE

The sound of children's infectious laughter and soft birdsong filled the crisp morning air. Dew sparkled on the grass and the spring sunshine was a welcome change from the cold, cloudy skies of winter. A few rabbits cautiously hopped near the edge of the forest with their noses twitching in the air. Two of them scampered away at the sound of approaching footsteps.

"Merlin, stop it!" A young girl complained. She was around six years old and the sunlight turned her hair and eyes a warm golden colour as opposed to the usual dark brown.

Next to her was a boy around two years younger than her. He happily skipped alongside his sister, occasionally getting in her way or poking her.

"Pa, he's annoying me!" She gently pushed her brother's hand away from her face. He giggled at her and ran away through the field in front of his family members.

"That's what little brothers are for, sweetpea. I should know, I am one," the old man replied with a twinkle in his blue eyes.

"Then I feel sorry for your sister."

Her grandfather simply chuckled and took her hand with his free one. The other was holding a small bow and some slightly blunt arrows. "You'll realise one day how lucky you are to have him, Megan."

She watched her brother running about in the field picking some flowers and making faces at her. She sighed. "Only if he gets less annoying."

They soon came to a stop a few feet inside the forest and the older man nodded his appreciation. "This will do nicely." He turned to look at his grandson who was trying to coax the rabbits out with a dandelion. "Merls, leave the poor things be and come over here so you don't get hurt."

"Aw," he pouted. "Do I have to learn like Meg?"

"No, no, you're still too little."

"Shoulders?" He asked hopefully and the old man nodded. A bright smile broke out on his face and he tore towards them.

His grandfather deftly swept him up into his arms and placed him on his shoulders. "Happy?" he asked. Merlin let out a little sigh of contentment. "Right then, let's get you started, Meg."

...

TEN YEARS LATER

Dark smoke spiralled into the air as screams and cries sounded out from all around the small house.

Two teenagers were huddled together in the corner of their kitchen. The older one covered her brother's ears with her hands even though she knew it wouldn't do much. Both of them wanted to run and help but their mother had told them to stay where they were.

The shouts drew closer and closer and it wasn't long before the door to their house was kicked in. A huge, very scary looking man burst in and his eyes immediately found them.

"Merlin, go!"

"I won't leave you!"

"Do what you're told!" She pushed her brother up and he reluctantly disappeared out the back door.

Megan scrambled to her feet and ran to grab the poker from the fireplace. The man in front of her let out a deep, menacing chuckle. "And what are you gonna do with that?"

She immediately swung the poker and smacked him across the face before sprinting after her brother. Once the man recovered from being hit with a hot poker, he ran after her.

"Megan!" A voice shouted from somewhere in the chaos and her eyes scanned her surroundings to try and find the person. She wasn't watching where she was going and ended up tripping over a rock.

She fell to the ground with a thud and heavy footsteps behind her made her blood run cold. She rolled over to see the man standing over her with a sickening grin on his face and his sword pointed to her throat.

"You're gonna regret that, sweetheart," he said, gesturing to the skin on his face that was still sizzling slightly.

"I am not your-"

"Get away from her!" A very angry voice yelled and the man was attacked by her furious grandfather. He swirled around with his sword brandished.

"Pa, look out!"

...

The following days were incredibly difficult for the villagers of Ealdor. Their stocks had been looted, their crops burned and their people killed. They'd never had to bury as many as they had the night of the raid.

Megan's small family house was quiet; a very stark contrast to what it had used to be. Flashes of her grandfather's still, bloody body passed through her head every time she closed her eyes. The guilt was almost too much to bear.

She let out a shaky sigh as she placed the basket of raspberries down on the table in the kitchen. She didn't know what to do anymore. Her brother hadn't spoken to anyone for the past few days and it worried her greatly.

Hunith watched her daughter's face fall from the other side of the room and she let out a small sigh of her own. "Meg, my dear, it was not your fault."

She shook her head. "I'd like to believe that, mother." She looked over at her with tears in her eyes. "He meant the world to me," she said, her voice breaking and her face crumpling with tears.

Hunith immediately moved to bring her daughter into a comforting hug. "I know he did. And you meant the world to him. Which is why he did what he did." She pulled back and wiped Megan's tears. "I've spoken to your uncle in Camelot and he has said you can go and live with him if you wish. I do not want you to feel as though I'm pushing you away but it's breaking your heart to stay here. I can see it in your eyes, darling."

"I can't." She shook her head. "Merlin-"

"He will be fine. He's not ready to leave yet, not with the way his magic is acting up. He'll have Grandma Belle and I to look after him as well as Will and Jane."

"I don't like Will," Megan muttered.

"I know you don't," Hunith replied with a small laugh. She placed her hand on her cheek. "My beautiful girl, you must do what is right for yourself. The sun will keep rising either way."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words - 1016.

AN - So here's the first chapter of the Dragon's Gold rewrite!! I thought it might be fun to give you all a little glimpse into Megan's past and there will be more of that to come in future chapters. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I should have a few more out by the end of the week <33

Dragon's GoldOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara