023 - Waltzing Wallbear

Cassiopeia Black was the most regal, well-dressed, beautiful young woman at Draco's birthday party. There was no question about it for the girl. Greengrass came close, and many of the women attending the extravagant, pureblood party were quite eye-catching, but none surpassed her, she internally felt, in appearance; none whatsoever. And it made her feel as though she were atop the world itself, even if the gathering wasn't in her honour this night.

"Quite the party, eh?" a voice behind her asked, and turning, she found her cousin with a soft smile upon his fine features.

"I see you managed an escape from the well-wishers," she mirthfully ribbed, raising a delicate eyebrow as her painted-red lips turned upwards in amusement.

"And the brown-nosers," he grunted out, his soft smile morphing into disgusted disgruntlement, which did nothing to quell her amusement.

"Oh, Draco, don't act as though you despise such self-degradation in your favor," she teased, glancing towards his hands in hopes of finding her gift, which she happily did.

"Of course I enjoy it, but not to the point of having it eat away my entire evening, especially when I'd rather spend it with you," he replied, his tone returning to something lighter and softer, and glancing back up at him, she found his smile had renewed itself, which she gently returned. "You're quite the sight tonight, Cass."

She blinked in surprise, having not expected the compliment from her cousin of all people, although it did nothing if not increase the satisfaction she felt towards her magnificent appearance and the blood within her veins that had created its genetic wonder.

"I mean...more so than normal," he teased, looking her tastefully elegant gown up and down, stopping his sight back where her light-blue orbs resided. "You really must've spent a fine Galleon on that attire, hm?"

"Indeed, I did," she mirthfully replied, gazing upon his majestic robes with a look of contempt, wishing he'd picked apparel more suited for ballroom waltzing than wizarding decor for the occasion. "And I see you're no stranger to such a concept, cousin."

"Yes, well..." he murmured, his cheeks igniting in embarrassment. "It was father's idea. Mother wanted me to wear something a little less lax and a little more attuned to the occasion, but father wouldn't hear of it."

"It suits you, Draco," she solemnly said, not wanting him to feel bad on his most special of days. "And perhaps your father is right, but I, myself, would never miss such a wonderful opportunity to show what my truly superior blood has made me."

"As you well should, Cass, but father doesn't think a man should seem gaudy in appearance, so, alas, I cannot join you in your venture of awing these lessers with your unparalleled, purebred beauty," Draco returned, his tone teasing, but she knew he was utterly serious about every word he'd said.

"That's quite the thing to say to a lady, dear cousin," she quipped, showing the boy her sweetest, warmest smile. "Are you perhaps looking for a dance with this unparalleled, purebred beauty?"

He grinned at her and held out his left hand in offering, the one which he wore her gift upon, and she took it without hesitation, her smile never wavering as he led her onto the ballroom floor.