pigtails

(flashback)
finns pov:

"what a shit show this is." my drunk father rants as he watched the 64th annual hunger games on the small tv in our lounge room.

I stared down at my fancy new shoes that my mom had gotten me down at the shops for my first day of kindergarten.

my brothers and I stared at father as we heard our mothers foot steps rushing down knowing an argument would break out once she saw dad drunk at 8 in the morning.

her eyes doze to her husband but she ignores and quickly brings our attention to us.

"BOYS. hurry out the door!! AND FINN your gonna be late on the first day, ah what a shit show u boys are just like your father"
my mom scolds

-

we made it to school. the school where all of district12 goes. No matter if your from the seam or from victors village. It was communal.

I step away from my mother hurrying past to see some kids in my year i can make friends with. I stare up and see a tall man carrying a little girl on her shoulders.

she was pretty. she has to braids hanging down her shoulders, her freckles shining and smiling but not hard. softly.

we separate by class grades

she's in mine

-

the days go on and around the second week of school and we had music class.

Ms O'Brien asks who can sing the mockingjay song and Sadie, the pigtailed girl screams "MEEE" as her hand shoots right up.

and she sings the song. she gets up front and sings the mocking Jay song.

I looked like a puppy dog staring at her. her voice was so angelic, so beautiful wow.

-

At that moment I snap back to reality. and there I am next to SADIE EVERDEEN the once pigtailed girl at school. except now we were in front of a crowd shaking hands...

at the reaping